Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New House Build.

randi
randi Member Posts: 1
I am new to this site, thanks for all the information!
I am in the framing stages of having a house built on the Sunshine Coast near Vancouver. It is time to decide on a heating system. We do not have gas available to the house. Main floor is 1100 sq ft and walk out basement is 900 sq ft. Flooring in basement is polished concrete and main floor is wood over 3/4 inch flooring. Would like to go radiant but I am somewhat undecided as to what heat source to use. Leaning toward an air to water heat pump. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,095
    You can always install hot water radiators or single pipe steam and control the heat emitted by the steam radiators or the hot water radiators using a single thermostat using flat panel wall hung radiators with much less work involved than in floor radiant heat. Down here in the lower 48 some folks are using heavy flexible refrigerant grade copper tubing to feed flat panel and standard steam radiators from a header in the attic or from the steam header in the basement by tapping into the header pipe hung in the basement ceiling with steel pipe using Tee's at an upward 30 or 45 degree angles from horizontal to keep feeding dry steam to the radiators.

Smaller refrigerant grade copper piping from common steel pipe headers works well from what I have seen of it.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Without natural gas available, and in your location, I think I would be inclined towards some sort of heat pump arrangement. You could go with radiant -- it has some advantages when coupled with an air to water heat pump, as radiant runs at rather low temperatures for the circulating water.

That said -- with any heating system, the key is the installation much more than the equipment. Find a contractor who really knows their stuff, and you will be much happier. A low bid is likely to give you a bad case of you got what you paid for... and radiant, particularly, if it's not done right can be pretty bad and almost impossible to fix once it is installed.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    What type of wall / roof assemblies will you be using and how will air sealing be handled ? What type windows are to be used ? These will give a better idea for those who will comment to have any value .

What type of water heater are you hoping to use ? Tell us more about the climate in your location , sunny , overcast ?

You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    I'd be using a propane condensing boiler. You're in Viessmann or IPC territory. Finding a qualified contractor is the harder part.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    You really could go with a 3 stage heating system.
    I would go with an oil fired boiler, 3 pass or EK Resolute. Propane on L.I. is $$.
    1st stage- radiant
    2nd stage- water source heat pump.
    3rd stage- hydro air
    Like the other guys said, a heat loss calc must be done and a capable HVAC contractor.

Your framing and there's no HVAC design yet? Peculiar.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Are you sure N Gas isn't available. Fortis BC is working hard on gas line expansion and has some excellent rebates. I'd check with them to be sure. I've done a lot of work with Fortis the past few years.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    That is a pretty mild climate area, find a local designer that has experience with local fuel and equipment options.

An air to water HP could in fact be an ideal choice if you design a low temperature system. Possibly do some cooling or humidity removal also.

I was up in that area a month ago, Vancouver and Victoria, beautiful country.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    You should go with the radiant AND a forced air system. Our national building code requires fresh air heat exchanger. So you might as well have some duct work done. It will increase your comfort through all the seasons.