Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Will Putting an Ikea Bookshelf in Front of My Heating Pipe Affect Heating in Apartment?

Options
I live in a NYC apartment building and am trying to economize space by putting an IKEA bookshelf up. The spot where I'm considering putting this shelf includes a corner where the heat pipe for the living room is. It's the kind that goes from floor to ceiling and burns the hell out of you if you touch it when the heat is working. If I placed the bookcase in front of (but not touching) it, it would block the pipe for about 8/10ths of its length. Will that affect the heating in the apartment during the winter? Can anybody tell me if I should or shouldn't go for it?

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    Is it a corner bookcase or a rectangle that will sit catty corner?
    You'll need space between the riser and the bookcase.
    Maybe the steam guys can offer you a cheap way to insulate the pipe.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    edited June 2018
    Options
    This heat pipe -- most likely a steam riser, if it's that hot -- is it your only heat source?

Because the bookcase will reduce the radiant heat output from it. It will not reduce the convected heat, provided you don't set the bottom hard on the floor or the top hard against the ceiling -- leave a few inches.

And as @HVACNUT said, make sure the bookcase doesn't touch the pipe -- pull it out an inch or two.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England