Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quiet Kick-space Heater?

Options
SSmith
SSmith Member Posts: 11
Hi All,

As an exercise in oxymorons, I pose the above question. I'm up against a kitchen remodel with no wall space at all, customer states they don't like the idea of radiant.... and they don't want to shrink up any cabinets to accommodate runtals or cast rads. They also are aware of the noisy fans in kick space heaters.. Any manufacturers out there that have a noticeably quieter product? Otherwise I'll explain to the client that heating their kitchen is not possible. ;) Thanks!
Daveinscranton

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited May 2018
    Options
    They don't like the idea of radiant? TK heaters, piped correctly, heat well and make noise. The really noisy ones always seem to happen with the people who are most sensitive to noise. Radiant makes zero noise.
    Steve Minnich
    SSmith
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    How about a small fan coil unit in the basement ducted upstairs?? Oversize the crap out of it so it will heat the space on low speed. Nice and quiet. Probably not cheap. Carrier, Majic Air, Trane etc.
    HVACNUTSSmith
  • RomanP
    RomanP Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Whenever I have to get toe kick heaters ifs Beacon Morris, but I can’t really compare noiselevel since it’s the only brand I used. If structural is still exposed and they don’t want radiant floor( no idea why)... give them radiant wall or ceiling or both
    SSmith
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Do manufacturers state dB levels in their literature on a web page?
    Its gotta be somewhere. Better Homes and Gardens or one of those probably did a top 10.
    SSmith
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Look at Kickspace heaters from Smith’s Environmental.
    I believe all manufacturers tell you the decibel level of their units. There are units that can be put in the basement and then you cut the floor to let the warm air up.
    Remember radiant can be installed in walls or ceiling not just on the floor.
    Myson and other manufacturers have vertical heaters that can be attached to the wall vertically taking up about 12” - 18” wide and then height about 5’ or 6’
    Check them out.
    SSmithRich_49
  • SSmith
    SSmith Member Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for all the input Gents! Radiant walls are not really an option due to the cabinet package taking up almost every vertical surface. Ceiling is too cost prohibitive. The customer is quirky- she likened RFH to heated toilet seats- "It makes you think some huge man was just on the seat and left it nice and warm for you. Gross!" I had to laugh. I tried to explain the fine tuning and surface temps available with RFH but she wasn't going for it. I guess its just one of those projects... they want heat, lights, plumbing, doors, but don't want to see light switches, thermostats, radiators, vents, fixtures... etc.
    I saw those Smith Environmental units online, I may just buy one to test it out.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    I just finished the exact same style job, in Stowe Vt. The kitchen was 20x25 and their are 78 can lights in it!!! Here is a corner pic,
    yes thats a 7' kitchen sink. Silly architect. Anyway I went with Smith units, and they can be heard but are good for what they are.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • RomanP
    RomanP Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Nice setup and a gorgeous view!!! 7’ kitchen sink shall be defined as kitchen tub lol
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    Setup like a hibachi restaurant... I can just envision flying shrimp and other grilled delights :D
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    That kitchen is only slightly smaller than my whole floor plan. <sigh>

At least you don't have to climb up to get into my bathtub. :innocent:

HVACNUT
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    > @ratio said:
    > That kitchen is only slightly smaller than my whole floor plan. At least you don't have to climb up to get into my bathtub. :innocent:

Makes me feel insignificant sometimes when a customers foyer is bigger than my house.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Sorry, didnt mean to hijack this thread, but yeah its ridiculous that kitchen is huge and expensive. I put in a K42 beacon morris yesterday, they are are good units as well.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt