Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recall Notice

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
https://cpsc.gov/Recalls/2018/NY-Thermal-Recalls-Boilers-Due-to-Carbon-Monoxide-Hazard

This recall involves NY Thermal (NTI) manufactured gas boilers sold under the Trinity Tft and Slant/Fin CHS brand names used for residential and commercial use. The Trinity Tft models have the name “NTI” printed on the front and were sold in metallic-grey. The Trinity Tft60 through Tft250 model boilers measure 33 inches tall by 20 inches wide. The Trinity Tft300 through Tft399 model boilers measure 36 inches tall and 25 inches wide.

The Slant/Fin CHS models have the name “Slant/Fin” and “CHS” printed across the front bottom and were sold in white. The Slant/Fin CHS-85 through CHS-250 model boilers measure 33 inches tall by 20 inches wide. The Slant/Fin CHS-300 through CHS-399 model boilers measure 36 inches tall and 25 inches wide.

Retired and loving it.
GBart

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Doesn't sound good
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Not good at all.
    On a side note, what bothers me is this maybe the tip of a iceberg.
    In TT installers manual states that CO detector is mandatory in the boiler room and the rest of the occupied building. Hard wired CO detectors MUST be install within 60 days, meantime a battery operated one must be onsite at the boiler room.

Lochinvar also states suggestion but mandatory in MA.

My point is, why are these units sold to anyone who is not trained to install. They are dangerous if not installed correctly.
    Yes some local jurisdictions have more restrictive protocols but much of our area does not.
    These systems can be very dangerous in the wrong hands.
    Scary,
    D

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Yikes... the CHS-85 was the boiler my HVAC guy recommended in 2106 when I was upgrading to a mod-con (ended up going with the HTP UFT-80W).
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    DZoro said:

My point is, why are these units sold to anyone who is not trained to install. They are dangerous if not installed correctly.

Same can be said regarding stand alone gas fired hot water heaters sold at the big box stores...

• unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Why is it up to the contractor to install a fire or co alarm in anybodies house? If the home owner wants one he can get his own and install it him self.
    kcopp
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Lets face it, there really isn't anything that can't cause some kind of dangerous problem when misused/misinstalled/misapplied/whatever, and licensing & training hasn't moved that risk to zero and I suspect that some will argue that it hasn't made much of a difference at all. Is there anything that doesn't cause cancer in California?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    unclejohn said:

Why is it up to the contractor to install a fire or co alarm in anybodies house? If the home owner wants one he can get his own and install it him self.

Because the days of grown adults being responsible for their own actions are long gone.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    1MatthiasratioCanuckerkcopp
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    CPSC recalls are interesting. I was involved in one years ago. As a territory rep I was absolutely freaking out. I was unable to get information to speak with consumers, dealers, or distributors. When you go to the CPSC the manuf looses all ability to even talk about the issue. The manuf only job is to come up with the fix and for the CPSC to accept the method. Really an incredible process.
    As to the requirement for CO detectors, I cannot see a reason to not require it. If it saves someone, just one, how is it not worth the effort. We have improved our building methods so our homes today have adopted the technology of the thermos bottle and applied it to new construction. Honestly, I’m surprised we don’t have more CO issues. Depending upon people, consumers, to be aware and responsible for this issue is...silly really. Look at the things you all see on jobs and comment on here. Consumers are aware of counter tops, expensive faucets, nice tile, etc. They cannot be depended upon to protect themselves. That’s our job. Ahhh, the joy;)
  • unclejohn
    @Jack. They cannot be depended upon to protect themselves. That’s our job. Were these people hatched? Did they not have parents? Didn't dad at some point say do not touch that. What happens if you install a faulty co detector and some one dies. Who is to blame? Well in your scenario you are.
    ChrisJ
  • unclejohn
    DZoro said:

Not good at all.
    On a side note, what bothers me is this maybe the tip of a iceberg.
    In TT installers manual states that CO detector is mandatory in the boiler room and the rest of the occupied building. Hard wired CO detectors MUST be install within 60 days, meantime a battery operated one must be onsite at the boiler room.

Lochinvar also states suggestion but mandatory in MA.

Yes some local jurisdictions have more restrictive protocols but much of our area does not.
    These systems can be very dangerous in the wrong hands.
    Scary,
    D

Fire places are dangerous, and as a vacationing family in Mexico recently found out so are water heaters in hotel rooms. My point is if you want to take on the responsibility of protecting people from them selves. Why stop at fire and co detectors. Lets do a sweep of the house and look for drugs, cigarettes, guns, sharp pointy things that put your eye out. Check the frig make sure there are not too many fatty things in there. How many times have you gotten a call from a customer who says they have a heavy gas odor. I say why did you call me call the gas company.
    I was in the HVAC service and install business, not the babysitting business. Although I do a little baby sittin theses days.