Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Did I ruin my R410 manifold gauge set by using it on R134 system?

One of our cars (2003 BMW i330) needed a refrigerant recharge- it uses R134.
I recharged the system with R134 using the manifold gauge set that I'm am planning to use to nitro pressure test and triple evac my new LG minisplit next weekend.

The thing is... in recharging the BMW with R134... I can now see some traces of the R134/oil in the gauge site glass.
Did I ruin the manfold set and hose for R410 by using it on a R134 system?

Thanks.... Rob
Louie214

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Dont worry about it. There both POE oil
    Louie214
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    ^ Thank you!

Should I run some alcohol thru it to flush it out anyway?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Just blow it out with nitrogen if you want to
    GBartLouie214
  • NY_Rob
    ^ Great idea!

Thanks Ed....
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited May 2018
    Found this website that says 134 and 410 systems use same POE oil for refrigeration , but 134 cars use PAG oil. (I only skimmed the table)
    http://www.linde-gas.com/en/products_and_supply/refrigerants/technical_information/oil_compatibility/index.html

I have separate gauges for R12 and 134 and no experience with 410 but I'm guessing flush the gauge lines to be safe.
    GBart
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    410a is POE and 134a is PAG oil.

Certainly not the same oil.

Blow your hoses and manifold out with nitrogen and everything will be fine.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    its ok, usually there are 3 different refrigerants on the gauge anyways, whats on yours and that does limit its uses, i have the testo 550 with over 50 programmed refs in it
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    The few drops of different oil will not affect anything. Some cars use PAG, some compressor manufs are changing to PAG, they play good with each other.
  • NY_Rob
    Thanks again to all... here's the refrigerant I used in the BMW:
    DuPont R-134a Suva A/C Automotive Refrigerant/Freon R134a

One of the questions asked on Amazon was:
    "does this have ANY additives in this freon? i just want pure 134a refrigerant"
    The answer was:
    "These cans are pure 134a refridgerant and no additives. Meets AHRI700SAEJ2776 purity standards; no additives."

Seems a good nitro blow-out will do the trick. :)

• Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited May 2018
    I was thinking oil from car blowing into hoses as you attach to pressurized car system.

In the old days with R12 type "open" connectors, the hoses used to always drip oil afterwards. Unless I recharged car with Liquid R-12, which flushed the line.
  • NY_Rob
    ^ well, to me it looked like some sort of "oily" substance, that's why I thought it was oil in the 134a.
    I don't know if it came from the car's system or from the can at this point. That's why I was a bit concerned about it "contaminating" the one hose and manifold set I used to recharge the car A/C system as it's the only manifold set I have and will need it for the mini-split commissioning soon.

Thanks again for the help!

Rob