Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cracked Heat Exchanger Code ?

Richard D._2
Richard D._2 Member Posts: 156
I can not find my code books!
If anyone know's what the code is {IE: section)on patching a heat exchanger with a hole please let me know ! I sure I will find my books somewhere in the box's from moving :O Wanting to post the code on another forum where a Tech used a wet blanket and some sort of cement for what he calls a repair , :O
In Maine we can not repair a exchanger,I am pretty sure most states are the same! All I can think of is what can happen when the patch fails ! A copy of the page would be great ! Thank you for any help. I am also looking for a on line version of the code!But my PC skills are lame lol

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    There are 3 ways to repair a cracked heat exchanger.
    1- replace the heat exchanger
    2- replace the furnace
    3- shut off the power and fuel supply, tag it "unsafe to operate" and get a signature.
    TinmanRichard D._2GBart
  • Richard D._2
    Richard D._2 Member Posts: 156
    HVACNUT said:

There are 3 ways to repair a cracked heat exchanger.

1- replace the heat exchanger

2- replace the furnace

3- shut off the power and fuel supply, tag it "unsafe to operate" and get a signature.

I agree with you 110%, I am trying to find it in writing and post the code to the clown who did patch it as a fix ! He also REMOVED a Coil Mixing valve and replaced it with a adjustable flow re stricter as a fix. Said the customer loved the HOT water :O 160/180 at the tap WOW can you say BURN UNIT ? Thanks for your feedback
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited April 2018
    @Richard D. I believe that answer lies with the Authority Having Jurisdiction, your local code. Its dependent on which code that municipality is using for their own.
    Steve Minnich
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @Richard D. ,

I doubt you will find the answer in a code book
    delta TTinman
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746

According to the 2006 International Mechanical Code (IMC), an unsafe mechanical system is one that “is unsafe, constitutes a fire or health hazard, or is otherwise dangerous to human life, as regulated by this code, is hereby declared as an unsafe mechanical system. Use of a mechanical system regulated by this code constituting a hazard to health, safety or welfare by reason of inadequate maintenance, dilapidation, fire hazard, disaster, damage or abandonment is hereby declared an unsafe use. Such unsafe equipment and appliances are hereby declared to be a public nuisance and shall be abated by repair, rehabilitation, demolition or removal.”

from-- good read- https://www.achrnews.com/articles/109584-red-tagging-a-furnace-who-is-responsible
    Tinman
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    I found a pretty bad unit once on a call for no heat, I called the Building Inspector and when I gave him the address he said "YOU ARE WHERE??? I WILL BE RIGHT OVER, in the meantime I want you to disable the unit and disconnect the oil line"

The unit had been shut down and the landlord got it running again.
    SuperTechratioCanucker
  • Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    GBart said:

IThe unit had been shut down and the landlord got it running again.

Sounds like back when I was working as a locksmith, someone called me out to a lockout, said his key wasn't working. I get to the unit and find out that he'd been evicted, and the reason his key didn't work was because the landlord had changed the locks to keep him out...
    GBart