Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smallest physical dimensions mini-split ceiling cassette?

Anyone know off-hand which manufacturer(s) make the smallest dimension mini-split ceiling cassettes? Having a system installed in a master suite (small attic above) and want to minimize the visual impact of indoor units since ceilings are low. Most are roughly 22-24" square, but would love something smaller.

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Dunno about a smaller cassette than that, but maybe a concealed ducted model would work?
  • Motorapido
    Motorapido Member Posts: 307
    JeffM said:

Anyone know off-hand which manufacturer(s) make the smallest dimension mini-split ceiling cassettes? Having a system installed in a master suite (small attic above) and want to minimize the visual impact of indoor units since ceilings are low. Most are roughly 22-24" square, but would love something smaller.

Mitsubishi JUST released the smallest ceiling cassette in the industry, which fits between joists 16 inches on center. I believe it measures 14 wide, and it is rectangular, rather than the square, larger cassettes. I've been waiting for it to hit the market to get a final quote from a contractor to install it at my house. Downstairs is ducted central air using ducts in basement. I didn't want to have the ancient house torn up and closet space wasted by running duct up to the second floor, or use up attic space with a separate ducted in the attic. But I also didn't want to have to have headers cut into my ceiling joists and risk plaster cracking during or long after the install due to possible flexing at the header. Your Mitsubishi contractor should be able to get info from the supplier. They announced this last fall but the cassettes just hit the market in April and might not be available everywhere just yet.
  • JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    Your house sounds just like mine, same situation. I had someone mention the Mitsubishi 16" cassettes, but can't find any info about them yet.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    I would assume it will be longer ? Not enough room for an compact Duct unit above or up in a closet ? Floor mount unit ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    I can fit a small ducted unit above (it's standing height at the center peak and will only serve two rooms), but nobody seems to want to use them here.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I know Trane make the ducted unit. I am sure others do as well
  • Motorapido
    Motorapido Member Posts: 307
    JeffM said:

Your house sounds just like mine, same situation. I had someone mention the Mitsubishi 16" cassettes, but can't find any info about them yet.

I'm told that regional distributors have the info from Mitsubishi on the new, small cassettes, but the contractor bidding on my job doesn't yet have specific pricing, and he can't yet get the cassettes. The distributor is telling him they were scheduled for release in April, so probably by the end of this month all the regional distributors will have them in stock so contractors can order them. They are probably working quickly on marketing literature for the small cassettes, too. The small size solves installation issues in old construction installations with 16 inch on center joists. No header needed. Quicker and easier for the installer, and for the homeowner, no worries about undermining the ceiling integrity with a header, which could risk eventual plaster cracking. Oh the joys of old houses.

I really don't like the idea of either traditional ducted installed in my attic to serve my upstairs bedrooms and bathroom, or the ducted version of the mini split. With the small cassette mini split system, I can get all the efficiency of the mini split compressor and the ability to condition the air in just one room at a time. Only two of us in the house, so no need to condition the other bedrooms most of the time. My attic is huge, and fitting ducts would be no problem, but then you have all that apparatus up there in the roasting attic, versus just the mini split ceiling cassettes and their condensate lines. I'm hoping by the end of April that the contractors I have bidding on the job have all the info they need from Mitsubishi so they can give me firm quotes and I can select one to get the work done by mid-May. Maybe, just maybe we will eventually get some warm weather here in still-freezing central Pennsylvania. ;-)
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,761
    The ducted units are a lot more work , as much work as installing an air handler but lighter and smaller .. They require hard duct and hard wired control .. The control needs to be set to the static pressure of the duct work used , the lower the better . Round and the least amount of fittings and duct are better .... You will get a much cleaner look
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all