Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat pump, buffer tank etc for domestic heating and hot water

Hi

I recently bought a 15kw heat pump and now come unstuck as to how to install it with the rest of other items required to run my heating system (via existing radiators where I previously used gas combi boiler) and hot water. My terraced 2 bed Victorian house has now been extended on the ground floor by a 6m rear extension and also having a loft conversion making it a more substantially larger property.

I would be pleased for any advice or suggestion as to the installation of the heat pump (location wise), what kind of buffer tank do I require (I understand this would store hot water as well as for the heating system) and other equipment needed for an efficient running of the entire system. My idea of coming away from gas heating system is to avoid using gas (CO2 and whatever) and hopefully soon to be able to generate my own electricity through wind turbine or solar panel supported by storage batteries. Then I can tell the ripping off corporations where to go! I read a lot on renewable energy but just not a technical person to know how things are put together. So really I am desperate for help before the wife deserts me!!!!

I live around East London. My no is 07838138468

Samuel

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    The first and most important question is: what is the design heat load you experience? You need to have a complete, room by room, heat loss tabulation for your structure. Then the next step is to go room by room and determine what temperature you will need to run your radiation at to satisfy your heat load.

Then we can begin to think about whether that heat pump can even deliver the temperature water and the flow which is required.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,121
    what type of HP. Water to water, air to water?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream