Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can you duct a unit heater?

Dsisson
Dsisson Member Posts: 92
Before I make an a$$ of myself and call my local heating guy-can you duct a unit heater?

Ceiling hung Reznor garage heater. Does great heating the main space, but the enclosed office is cold. Hoping to duct to the office & also have a register in the garage. Possible?

Comments

• SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    The type of fans on those ceiling hung heaters can't really generate any static pressure to speak of so ducted air flow is going to fall off quickly and heat exchanger temps are going to soar.
    Zman
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    not a good idea on those
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Dsisson
    Got it. Glad I asked the experts first.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    If you are just trying to move air from one room to another, you could just use a duct fan.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    SuperJ
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited April 2018
    Install a ductless system for the enclosed office. And it even comes with A/C.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    If it has a propeller fan, NO. If it has a centrifugal fan maybe.

The fan has to move enough air to keep the unit from overheating and not hitting the limit control. They are not designed for ducting
  • Dsisson
    Looks like a little fan to transfer air is the right option. Looking at a quiet fan with high CFM. Maybe a big bath fan. Just needs to sit in the wall and move a bunch of air quietly. Thanks for the advice.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Most propeller (axial) fans can't. Some are made to like tubeaxial fans.
    Steve Minnich