Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buyers Radiators and Boilers

Options
Celia
Celia Member Posts: 5
Planning on tearing out the cast iron radiators and boiler in my house, going with a baseboard. You know someone interesting in buying? I have 6 cast iron steam radiators and 2 boiler. Thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Are these steam only radiators? Why change, and not just repair the system you have?
    If it is beyond the capabilities of your present plumber, then use the find a contractor button here to find someone more capable.—NBC
  • Celia
    Celia Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, Thanks for the commentary, But I have daycare in the house and they are occupying me a lot of place and since I have to have them covered my bills are coming very high.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    At the risk of pointing out the obvious, @Celia -- the bill for the changeover is going to come in very high too. In fact, sufficiently so that I'm afraid you'll never recover the investment.

We've advised you to find a competent steam person to get your system operating properly, and to suggest ways of enclosing the radiators to eliminate safety hazards, but...

Hey, it's your money.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Your heating bill isn't high because of radiator covers, no way no how. Anyone that has convinced you of that is selling you a false bill of goods and most likely trying to steal...take your money for the changeover.

Better covers would be cheaper and much less invasive than what you propose.

With baseboard the typical temperature to run them at is 180°, you can run them lower, but you need to install a lot more baseboard. At 180° will you be allowed to leave them open?
    Keep in mind if you cover or block baseboard with furniture or anything you cut down the output to a point.

I think someone is giving you poor information and then you are making your decisions based on that.

What temp has your contractor suggested you run the baseboard at? Has a heat loss been done? How are they sizing the system?

As Jamie said it's your money to waste as you see fit.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15