Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Comfortmaker furnace with cracked front panel

zepfan
zepfan Member Posts: 397
We have a customer that has a 15 year old, 75 mbh three burner gas furnace. 80% running on propane. The issue is that the furnace's front partition has a hairline crack just above the center burner. The other two openings seem ok. The burners bolt to the front of this panel, and the heat exchanger bolts to the back. The panel is a N.L.A from the manufacturer, and I was posting to see if anyone knows of an extremely high temperature sealant that can be used to temp. patch this to get the furnace through the rest of this winter. The whole system will need to be replaced eventually, I am just trying to get them through the rest of this winter. I think the red RTV will not handle this level of heat. Thanks to all.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited March 2018
    What's front panel or front partition? If it's the HX, no repair. Unsafe to operate. Shut it down, its done.
    ratio
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    A picture would help but what I think your talking about the opening the flame shoots through before it enters the heat exchanger. If so i would not worry about it.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Comfortmaker is a re-badged Carrier and their are a lot of common parts for the various brands that International Comfort Products markets. You may want to see if you can find a cross reference for that item.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 950
    At the time of that unit, ICP wasn't part of Carrier and had their own furnaces. Now, what Fred says is true. Sure wish they all had the same part numbers like Trane, Lennox, Goodman etc.