Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Update from me - brand HE boiler?

jh582
jh582 Member Posts: 4
6 estimates later, along with 6 brand recommendations I’m trying to decide which brand high efficiency boiler to go with. Leaning Bosch, also considering Weil, Peerless and Rinnai. Any others I’m missing? Any mistakes on my list? Metro Boston, 4200sqft and sized a 150K system by doing a heat loss assessment. Will be running an indirect water heater (60 gallons), and 5 other zones. Not looking to blow the bank but looking for something solid.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I really like the IBC line up.... especially the HC/ DC model.
    Simple, efficient and easy to work on.

http://ibcboiler.com/

The important thing is that whatever you get the installer knows how to service it well and knows all the ins and outs of it.
    SuperTech
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Look at the heat exchangers. I personally prefer the fire tube design. The water tube has also been a proven design.
    I would not buy one with a aluminum exchanger. I am not familiar with the lines you are considering.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • jh582
    Heat exchanger on the Weil is SS, the one on the Bosch is AL/Silicon. Have heard great things about the Bosch but I know Weil is a solid name. I've heard either way you go you need to service HE units annually to prevent corrosion etc., which I plan on doing, but I'm finding it interesting that the Weil is priced about 20% less (I've always assumed that the SS units would be more expensive). Hoping my contractor can weigh in, given that he's doing the install I'm hoping he has a level of comfort with either direction.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    I prefer the Viessmann Vitodens 200 or the IBC line. Both are well repped in the Boston area. The quality of the replacement depends more on the ability and skillset of the contractor, than the boiler selection.
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 849
    Here in NJ we've had a lot of aluminum block failures, I wouldn't install one again. To date we've installed over a hundred ss condensing boilers (both residential and commercial), after almost approximately eighteen years not one heat exchanger has failed (knocking on wood).
    jh582
  • jh582
    Sounds like consensus is a SS unit that a contractor has a level of comfort working with and maintaining it over time...

RE: IBC...looks good, pricey relative to the Weil, am not finding a lot of reps here in MA, will keep digging!
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Im all in with NTI for condensing and GV90+ when its high temp. Dont know how it is to work on the NTI's, haven't had to yet. GV's are very simple for the most part.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561

Here in NJ we've had a lot of aluminum block failures, I wouldn't install one again. To date we've installed over a hundred ss condensing boilers (both residential and commercial), after almost approximately eighteen years not one heat exchanger has failed (knocking on wood).

@jh582

I am not sure why you disagreed with this post (maybe a thumb type)

I have seen numerous aluminum HX failures, mostly Buderus (owned by Bosch).

Personally, I would not install an aluminum HX in my home if it was given to me for free....
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Lochinvar has some nice boilers and combi boilers.
    Noble is an combi boiler.
    Their 150,000 BTU input combi boiler delivers 3.6 GPM of domestic hot water at 77 F degree temp rise.
    There 199,000 BTU input combi boiler delivers 4.8 GPM of domestic hot water at 77 F degree temp rise. With this boiler you can derate the heating side of the boiler to match your heating load of 150,000 BTU but when domestic water is needed the combi boiler will go to high fire of 199,000 BTU

They also have there Knight boiler wall or floor standing boilers. Then you can use their indirect water heater or any brand indirect water heater.

Weil Mclain builds great condensing gas boilers so does Burnham and other brands.

Bosch makes wall hung condensing boilers and floor standing condensing boilers. The Bosch floor standing boiler already has the primary secondary piping built in the boiler. Plus no wall to build if you do not have a solid wall to mount the boiler on.

There are many great condensing boilers on the market but they need to be sized right, installed correctly, vented correctly and water quality needs to be looked at.

The Weil Mclain GV90 cast iron boiler is more forgiving product

Any high efficiency gas boiler should be serviced yearly to make sure it is running correctly and that the plastic venting system is still in good working order.

It is important to pick a good boiler brand but the most important part is picking a competent heating contractor that knows what they are doing when installing this type of boiler job.