Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Ceiling

Simply Rad
Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
I was playing around the other day with my Uponor Design Suites program and tried a function I have never really payed attention to before.....Economical design. This function is only in the radiant ceiling category. Basically, it raised the supply water temp(along with surface temp) and lowered the radiant panel surface area. I have installed a radiant ceiling but have not used a smaller Radiant panel surface area. Just wondering about layout of the tube and plates. The room is a garage and its 800 ft2. I figured out I could use 335 ft2 of tube and plate radiant ceiling with 140F SWT for design for a total of 13,000 btus. Wondering about layout of the tube and plate to be installed around the perimeter of the ceiling? Any thoughts?
Thanks

Jeffrey
Jeffrey Campbell

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Look at using 50 - 60 % of the surface area and keep the temps down even farther . Economical design always uses 169* fluid temp and bases the area accordingly . In the manifold / loops step highlight the loop / s and change the area covered to whatever percentage you want to explore and it will change your radiant panel report to the area you chose .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Gordy
  • Simply Rad
    Simply Rad Member Posts: 184
    Rich
    Thanks for the info about Design Suite. I was able to adjust the surface area to achieve a SWT of 140F. I am using panel radiators in the caretaker above so that is where the 140 SWT comes from. Thanks for teaching me something new about Design suite
    Reagrds
    Jeffrey
    Jeffrey Campbell
    Rich_49
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    That’s the beauty of radiant ceiling panels. You have the latitude of higher ceiling temperatures with lower sf of installed panel, or higher sf of installed panel, and lower ceiling temps.

One method keeps up front panel costs down. The other keeps operating costs down through lower water temps creating higher efficiency at the boiler if a mod/con is used.
    Rich_49
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,230
    How about comfort rather than economy?
    Too high temperature can be tough on baldies.
    But higher temperature make some folks feel more cozy?
    A matter of reradiated radiant temperature?
    GordyRich_49
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    jumper said:

How about comfort rather than economy?
    Too high temperature can be tough on baldies.
    But higher temperature make some folks feel more cozy?
    A matter of reradiated radiant temperature?

Only if Baldy is standing with his belly on the window or exterior wall . LOL
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    GordyMark EathertonCanucker