Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lyric thermostat and ODR issue

Options
I recently replaced my old White Rodgers 1F80-361 thermostat with a Honeywell Lyric T6 Pro. At the same time I abandoned the old cloth covered 18/3 thermostat wire with new 18/8. I installed a Honeywell L7224U aquastat with the outdoor reset module a couple years ago and it's been working great. I ran the eight conducted wire so I would have enough conductors to power the thermostat using the RC and common terminals and use the sensor terminals to wire the outdoor sensor to the T6.
The issue that I have encountered is that the Lyric thermostat indicates an outdoor sensor fault, but the aquastat is still reading outdoor temperature perfectly and the reset module is operating normally. I have checked resistance with my meter and haven't found anything unusual. I know that the Lyric thermostat doesn't need the sensor to show outdoor temperature, but this still doesn't explain why these Honeywell components aren't working with each other

Has anyone else encountered this or have an explanation? Nothing in the manuals for any of the components mention anything of this nature.

Comments

• SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    Options
    I don't think you can "share" the outdoor sensor if it's a thermistor. You probably have to wire a separate one to the thermostat and ODR controller.
    SuperTech
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,166
    Options
    > @SuperJ said:
    > I don't think you can "share" the outdoor sensor if it's a thermistor. You probably have to wire a separate one to the thermostat and ODR controller.

That might explain it. I'm going to try wiring the sensor directly to the thermostat, I bet this will prove that you are correct.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,628
    Options
    Additionally, there are a goodly number of two wire temperature sensors, not just thermistors (of various flavors) but RTDs (again, of various flavors) as well. It's possible that the sensor isn't compatible with the T6.

Someone here posted a link to a wireless sensor that had a thermistor output, you could have several receivers associated with one transmitter. I can't recall how many choices were available for the receiver output.