Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil burner ignitor

Loop1
Loop1 Member Posts: 13
Last week my oil-fired home furnace "died." I called a local shop with a great reputation and a very
experienced technician showed 2 hours later. He immediately diagnosed the problem as the ignitor (Carlin model 41000), popped in a new one (same model), fired up the furnace, did a thorough tune-up and left. He said this particular model ignitor is prone to failure in 5-7 years. Is that true? And if it is, is there a replacement from another maker that might last longer? (But at age 84 maybe I shouldn't worry about furnace longevity.)

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Ignitors do die. It's one of the parts which does.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    As much as like Carlin, I stopped using their ignitors. I heard they had problems, made improvements. I've had a few fail in a year.
    Electronic ignitors are sensitive to heat and poor ground.
    I'm surprised the tech told you that it wasn't the best ignitor, then put the same brand back in.
    Despite their weight, I've gone back to the old style transformers.
    How embarrassing to me to replace a transformer that worked for 40 years, with one that only lasts a year or two.
    steve
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Replacing a part that used to last 40 years with one that last around 5 years is called progress.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    The 14K volt igniters don't hold up well with intermittent primaries.
    You want interrupted ignition.
    @STEVEusaPA , I didn't know 10K volt transformers were still available. Did you have to add heavy duty leaf springs to your service vehicle?
    SuperTechGrallert
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    HVACNUT said:

The 14K volt igniters don't hold up well with intermittent primaries.

You want interrupted ignition.

@STEVEusaPA , I didn't know 10K volt transformers were still available. Did you have to add heavy duty leaf springs to your service vehicle?

funny...
    steve