Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

having some radiator not hooked-up can ruin a boiler, true or false?

suzalien
suzalien Member Posts: 1
I am in a COOP with 20 units, each unit have 3 radiator. I am on the top floor and disconnected 2 of them is it was too hot. Managing agent said that having radiator disconnected will ruin the boiler. Is it true?
Thanks for reading and heloing out!

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    Baloney. If everyone in the building disconnected two radiators then there might be a different story. But two radiators within 20 units, nothing to worry about
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    It won't ruin the boiler. It might cycle slightly more often, but not to notice.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    If I was management I would care more about getting the system working properly so you don't feel the need to unhook them.

Of course I actually care about proper efficient operation and not wasting money, I doubt your management has the same concerns. If they did you wouldn't have ever had to unhook them in the first place.

Is this a steam system? I am assuming it is.

If so make sure no steam leaks out of those disconnected valves as leaks like that can and will kill the boiler, but just unhooking won't.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    kcopp
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    If they are upset and threatening action, hook them back up and throw a quilt over them.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    edited February 2018
    Ask them to explain that logic and while they are at it, ask them to explain how they intend to better balance the system so you can reconnect them and still be comfortable, in your own home.
  • Not True!
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    malarkey
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    If this were true, no one would be allowed to use turn off valves on their radiators.... It is FALSE. As others have said, they need to find a local qualified steam expert to address their problems, and save energy. What a concept. Comfortable people and low energy bills... Whooda thunk it possible....

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.