Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Strange stuff found in sink screen

invermont
invermont Member Posts: 73
Around Christmas my kitchen sink was running slow. Cleaned screen, small white particles were in it. Didn’t think anything of it. Noticed running slow again. Took out screen. Completely clogged with this white and green stuff. Some about a quarter inch long. Floats, consistency of plastic, some looks pourus. Have copper lines so not sure where it would come from. I’m on a water system that feeds 60 homes. All gravity fed.

Comments

• invermont

• delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    I have seen that when a dip tube in a water heater starts to fall apart.....my best guess.
    Mark Eatherton
  • invermont
    delta T said:

I have seen that when a dip tube in a water heater starts to fall apart.....my best guess.

After reading about it that makes sense. Thanks for the info
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Hello, Try pulling the dip tube from your water heater and see what it looks like. Also, if you're getting short showers, that would be a clue. ;)

Yours, Larry
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930

Back in October 2009 I installed in my house an Triangle Tube Prestige Solo PE110 condensing boiler with built in 10 gallon Stainless Steel indirect water heater I believe in 2015 I started getting some white hard flakes in my faucets aerators. Then it dawned on me that my cold water dip tube in the indirect water heater was failing. Check the photos. The new dip tube was about 30” long and what was left was about 12” of the old original dip tube. Before I replace the old dip tube I called Triangle Tube and spoke with someone in technical and asked them if they were having trouble with their dip tubes in the indirect water heater in their PE110 boiler. He told me no but the new replacement dip tube was made from a different material. Man you do not need to be a rocket scientist but I believe they had trouble with their dip tubes why else would they start making the dip tube out of a different material!
    When any manufacture has a problem with a part in their equipment they should just own up to it and say yes we are having this problem and this is what we are doing to take care of our customers and the home owners who actually own the boiler or water heater. As an manufacture you need to keep the contractor happy and work with them so they have confidence in your products and the contractor keeps selling and installing your products. Every manufacture has some type of problems with their products the good manufactures own up to the problem and have a plan on how to solve the problem and keep everyone happy.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    What brand water heater or indirect water heater do you have?
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    As I recall there was a series of dip tubes that failed several years back and led to a court settlement from the manufacturers. Just a vague memory.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    FWIW, I have made dip tubes with 3/4" soft ACR copper tubing.
    I put a flare on the end to hold it where the original was.
    The soft is handy if ceiling height is limited.
  • As I recall there was a series of dip tubes that failed several years back and led to a court settlement from the manufacturers. Just a vague memory.

The original problem was on water heaters that were sold between 1993 and 1996. Don't know what caused them to break down; perhaps non-virgin resin like the ABS scandal.

I am surprised that Larry had the same problem, so many years later and that TT didn't own up to it. Maybe it's a "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,979
    edited March 2018
    You would think that a sturdier (metallic?) dip tube wouldn't break the bank. There might be some plumbers and homeowners that would prefer the brand over others if they offered a water heater with a dip tube that doesn't disintegrate, but what do I know.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • invermont
    I had the tank replaced with the new boiler. I didn’t have a chance to rip it apart because it was already gone when I got home. They drained it outback, but with 2 feet of snow on the ground I haven’t looked for any pieces of it. The age does fall in the range of the faulty dip tubes being installed