Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riello boilers!

Options
hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
Can an oil fired be in the works?
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    7:1 turndown with 19.6K minimum output....
    Wonder why we haven't seen any 10:1 turndown 50-60K BTU boilers yet? 5k BTU output would be great for smaller energy efficient homes with zoning.
  • Captain
    Captain Member Posts: 30
    Options
    The combustion becomes unstable when you increase the turndown ratio. I also believe that the ratio or percentage of excess air you require for combustion goes up with the turndown ratio. This will reduce your efficiency negating the gains you get for installing a modcon.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    How are their oil burner OEM customers going to feel about it?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,283
    Options
    There is no theoretical reason why an oil burner can't be made to operate with a wide turndown ratio with excellent efficiency across the range. Gas turbines do it routinely. So do power generation boilers. The latter do it mostly by turning various burners or combinations of burners on or off as the load varies -- the average home oil burner has just one, so that's not an option (well... it is, and I've discussed it elsewhere, but for the moment let it go). Gas turbines do it by varying fuel and air flow to the combustion chamber -- but have you ever looked closely at how a gas turbine does that? The controls and sensors alone -- even for a 200 shaft horsepower turbine -- run well into six figures, never mind the nozzles...

So the question really is, yes it can be done, but can it be done at a price point which makes sense? Be interesting to watch.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,132
    Options
    I've always wanted to try one of these small diesel hydronic heater on a hydronic system. I know a few other motor home builders that use them for hydronic heating.

I'm building a 10' slide in camper for my truck, if I can find a deal on one I may try some radiant and panel rads. 7- 17,000 BTU/hr.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I don't know much about them, but would an electronically controlled oil pot burner work in a small condensing boiler application? Those Toyotomi Laser heaters seem to use them and burn cleanly on very small outputs. It's been my understanding that the vapor pressure nozzle has been the hold back to small output oil equipment.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    On the commercial side Viessmann is trying to get away from Reillo, Weishaupt and other power burners in favor of their own "built in" burner similar to what Cleaver Brooks does with their Scotch Marine boilers. I suppose if Reillo is losing market share their going in the boiler business
    Solid_Fuel_Man