Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crown Aruba boiler with OC Panel

I have a new Crown hot water boiler and wish to upgrade the Tstat to a Honeywell TH8321R1001. The OC Panel has an Outdoor Air Sensor and I'm trying to wire tstat to EnviraCOM leads, (1, 2, and 3) on OC Panel. Crown's literature is lacking in detail a sit does not show a wiring schematic for the #1 EnviraCOM lead. I believe that the #2 lead is 24vac R, the #3 lead is common C to complete circuit to Tstat, leaving #1 lead as W completing the Tstat circuit letting the boiler know when to fire.
My first question is whether or not the tstat wiring to EnviraCOM leads is correct as I have described above? My second question is whether or not I need a Tstat to fire the boiler with an OC panel with Outdoor air sensor? Wouldn't the microprocessor control impute the value of the outdoor T and Water supply T and merely run the boiler as per the reset curve? I did come up with an Error code of (2-3) which does not appear in the list of error codes. Thanks.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • mh257
    mh257 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks. That diagram came with the OC Panel but the blasted Error code 2-3 is preventing this thing from operating. I shouldn't need a Tstat with this system except that I want to monitor the boiler as it goes out of service whenever I schedule a weekend away.
    Crown tech guy didn't know what the code meant, which gives me pause regarding my choice of boiler manufacturer. I miss my Burnham c.i. boiler from 1976 with its Johnson outside reset control.
  • Ironman
    Crown and Burnham are both US Boiler Co.

You MUST have a connection between "T & T" to call the boiler to heat. You can do it with a jumper wire or a thermostat. I wouldn't use a jumper on a non condensing boiler. You can't stretch the ODR curve wide enough without causing flue gas condensation.
    Bob Boan
  • mh257
    Tried that and while the circuit (T-T) was complete at the OC Panel it wouldn't fire. It seems to come back to the Error code 2-3
  • Ironman
    Did you use the factory cables with Molex plugs or field wiring to connect the OC panel to the boiler? If field wiring, I'd review it carefully to assure it's all correct.
    Bob Boan
  • mh257
    Factory cables. The only field wiring installed is the new 20g wire from the new Outdoor air sensor to the OC reset card.