Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tri Tube Prestige Solo 250 boiler making high pitched whine

I am trying to troubleshoot a new high pitched whining sound from my triangle tube prestige solo 250 boiler.

I have recorded the sound on a short youtube clip below.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this... how do i repair? Do i need to replace the blower?

Thanks.

https://youtu.be/ZbUm_rL4sVs

Comments

• Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    My guess would be the venturi has come apart and the fan sucked in pieces of it. Pull that white plastic 90 off with the unit off and look in there it should be smooth and clean. Typically its rough, cracked or a bit of both. Could also be the combustion fan started coming apart.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    DZoro
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Think Tom is right, probably the fan fins are coming apart. When you remove the blower you will need a 12" Philips or star. Many times when you purchase the blower they will send the screw driver with. Any how don't forget to look for pieces inside the combustion chamber. The back screw is a bear that's when you definitely need the long screwdriver. Make sure the venture part right behind that elbow, is solid and not pitted up.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I think the above posts are probably correct.
    If that is the case, the problem is usually caused by combustion gasses being sucked into the air intake. Be sure to fix the problem, not just the intake.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    DZoro
  • Tom_133
    @Zman, I agree with you that these issue can come from cross contamination, typically a poor venting arrangement outside or bushes not allowing the exhaust to get away from the intake.

I have also found that due to the fan being mounted on top of the heat exchanger, and the post purge time being too short (not an option to change) that the hot acidic moisture that comes up from the hot heat exchanger after it runs can also eats away at the venturi and fan. Triangle confirmed that on the phone with me, and then let me know that the post purge setting was corrected in newer models.

Just a thought
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
    Zman
  • Badgerland
    Badgerland Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all the advice. Your assessments were spot on. The replacement of the blower motor was not too difficult. I did find several broken pieces of the fan inside the fan and combustion chamber. Fins on the fan also had some chips and cracks. It appears to be a faulty part or design.
    DZoro
  • Tom_133
    Not too cheap either, glad to hear you are up and running
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt