Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking flange on a Liberty Pro 380....

john p_2
john p_2 Member Posts: 367
Just passed my rough plumbing inspection and decided to test all underground plumbing by filling with a garden hose. Naturally the stainless steel fernco fitting connecting the PVC to the sump was dripping as well as the lid on the sump. This seems very strange to me as I was very careful to tighten the bolts in a "star" pattern, so as to do them asvevenly as possible. Needless to say I pumped out the water but now will need a new gasket but not sure what I can do differently to prevent the leaking... any ideas?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Check the torque when tightening the bolts. It must be even as you do your pattern -- but perhaps more important, do not overtorque it. There should be -- somewhere -- a specification as to the correct torque, and overtightening can distort the lid. That could be the leak...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    L Thiesen
  • john p_2
    Agree with all you said but I did do it as evenly as possible.... guessing I will just change the gasket and start over. Should be fun trying to find a separate gasket....ugh
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    john p said:

Agree with all you said but I did do it as evenly as possible.... guessing I will just change the gasket and start over. Should be fun trying to find a separate gasket....ugh

An obvious comment -- are you sure that the gasket mating surfaces are really clean? And not warped? That could ruin your whole day... and I've seen it, even on equipment right out of the box.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • john p_2
    I installed the gasket, surfaces were perfect. Warped, I'm not sure. I will try to find a new gasket today and install today, refill and see what happens.