Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Valve questions

I have a tankless heating coil with a 40 gal storage tank with recirculation pump. I have a valve that can turn off the coil from directly entering the domestic hot water line bypassing the tank. Should it be open or closed? I would think closed so the water has to come only from the storage tank. Is this right?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    I would say closed, from your description.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • chriscutrone
    chriscutrone Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the quick response. Any idea why it would be left open? Could there be a benefit from that? I'm a new home owner just trying to learn my system. Thanks again.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    Seems to me that if it were left open and on the faucets side of the storage tank, you could -- if the boiler were running at the time -- get some blazing hot (like dangerously hot) water. However, without actually looking at the plumbing -- or an accurate diagram of it -- I'd hesitate to say I was right.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    A picture would give the best understanding to the situation.
    Back up to include the boiler, tank, valves and all piping.
  • chriscutrone
    So the blue handle is the valve that I'm questioning. It comes up from the coil and tees into the domestic line. The black valve is open and is the pipe going to the storage tank for recirculation. I'm thinking that the coil should only feed the tank and not tee into the domestic line.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Could you back up and take pictures from the left side....would like to read what is on the side of that device.
    And so we could see pipe connections into the boiler. Thanks
  • chriscutrone
    Biggest picture I can get.