Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Morning heat problem

Options
mraia
mraia Member Posts: 2
Good morning. First timer here. I have 2 zone gas heat. We're in NY and are having -5 temps. I have my thermostat set to a constant 73. The reason it's so high is that we have an open floor plan and our main living room is a four seasons ,all glass sun room. It has baseboards, but is always colder than the rest of the house. Anyway, why is the temp at 67 this morning? Shouldn't the temp be 73 all day and night?
Thanks for the help and stay warm!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,533
    Options
    understand that depending on you location heating systems are designed for a certain design temperature, for example in my area we use 0 degrees. yet around here our temps have been colder than that. that means the inside temperature will "slip" downwards.

What your experiencing is normal. A few things you might check/do.

Weather stripping around doors
    good windows
    add insulation
    Keep furnature away from baseboards & heaters
    Keep baseboard fins clean

Have your system serviced every year.

Like I said we are having abnormally low outside temperatures. It's going to warm up tomorrow
    Iceman3434kcoppRich_49Canucker
  • mraia
    mraia Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks very much! As long as it's relatively normal I can certainly live with it.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Remember this , The very best window is still a sh*^%y wall
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Canucker
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    That space is simply falling behind. You are probably 10f colder than design and depending on wind, shading, sun, air leaks you’ll be even deeper “ in the hole”.

Is the boiler running continuously or cycling on and off? Might be able re-balance the system to more heat goes to the room with that’s cooling off. Or do you mean that entire area or the whole house is 67f?
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    I see you probably have forced air furnaces. If it’s like most every home I’ve owned, the ductwork is poorly laid out and it’s unbalanced and worse the furnace is oversized (90% of homes are) so shorter cycles make it even more uneven.