Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need some advice on a gb 142 60 replacement

invermont
invermont Member Posts: 73
Hello all, Homeowner here and not a trained technician. In 2009 I had an addition put on and a new heating system installed. I was misled in the fact that my installer knew what he was doing. 2nd year in I had some leaks at the unions which I was told by my installer I would have to fix myself. Get the picture? I got a manual for the boiler and since then have been cleaning and maintaining myself. Most important thing I realized was that the intake was sucking in the bad stuff from outside. Exhaust and intake next to each other about a foot from an inside corner. I now use interior air. No one in my area will look at it because they didn’t install it.

Last winter I was down for a couple days. Had a technician from my propane company come and he hit reset which worked for about 3 hours. Took my ohm meter and found out my return sensor was bad. I used the chart in my manual and replaced the one which the number was way off.

Now I have a little bit of water dripping from the back. Seems like it is coming from where the mount is attached in the back. When you take the bottom off the unit there is a small weep type hole up in the right back wall that was dripping into the actual fireside of the boiler. Not sure if it’s supposed to do that. A little bit of sludge in the condensation trap but not much, but I cleaned and flushed and that seemed to help. Never got a 6a though. Wondering what is back there in the flue system that would do that.

Now I’m wondering if my system is on its last legs. I know there is some damage from sucking in exhaust for a couple years. Especially the fan intake which seems to be corroded some. I know there was some chemicals added to my water on installation but I doubt the system was cleaned due to the black stuff found on my sensor.

Wondering if I should spend money on a rehab? Replace whole unit? Or go with something else. Something a little less hands on. I m not to hung up on efficiency as I am for reliability and ease of repair. Any input on brands if I go that way? Some one I know suggested a Weil-McLain “sparker type”. Thanks, Tom

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Put in a Vitodens 200 and be done with it. Much simpler and easy to maintain.
    invermont
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    If it popped a leak then you need a new boiler. Your home is on the larger side? That’s a good sized Buderus you have
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    invermont
  • invermont
    GW said:

If it popped a leak then you need a new boiler. Your home is on the larger side? That’s a good sized Buderus you have

3000 square feet. I assume it’s to big? The water is not coming from the hx itself. Dripping from a hole in the back of the casing and only happens after a cycle. The hole is factory. Drill maybe 1/8 inch. You wouldn’t know if it was there unless you look up behind the fin tubing
  • invermont

Put in a Vitodens 200 and be done with it. Much simpler and easy to maintain.

Thanks Paul. Will look at that

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    8 years old. I wouldn't scrap it unless it fails. Another case of technicians that know nothing.

@invermont you have done well on your own to keep it running
  • invermont

8 years old. I wouldn't scrap it unless it fails. Another case of technicians that know nothing.

@invermont you have done well on your own to keep it running

It’s always a worry for me. I have little kids. Hot water is a must!