Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

W-M Water Heater Water Pooling in Top of Heater

Good morning everyone!

This is my first post to the forum, so I apologize in advance if I'm breaking any etiquette.

I have a W-M water tank that's heated by a W-M boiler. Yesterday, I noticed a leak from the bottom of the tank. Traced it up the side of the tank and noticed that there was (what appeared to be) steam coming from the boiler return line pipe fitting (the top horizontal pipe in the picture below) with water dripping down the side. Also noticed water pooling on the top of the unit underneath the DHW pipe... Popped off the control panel on top (with the electrical hookup to the boiler and the temperature control dial) and the compartment was filled with hot water (picture below). Used a shop-vac to drain the compartment and had a plumber remove and reseat the dip tube.

Left the water heater unplugged overnight, and had no leak this morning. Plugged it back in, and within 5 minutes had water pooling in the top compartment again - it appears to NOT be coming up the dip tube, as the top of the tube is dry.

Is there anything else I can do to troubleshoot? I thought it was odd that it only leaks when it's running - seems to imply to me that there's a leak from the boiler side (although I'm certainly not an expert).

Any advice you could provide would be much appreciated it!

Thanks,
Rob

Comments

• Boiler wrestler
    Boiler wrestler Member Posts: 43
    If the water is coming from the tank itself, and it appears to be from where I'm sitting, then it's time for a new indirect.
    devsfan3
  • devsfan3
    devsfan3 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Boiler wrestler!

Another thing I noticed (not sure if it's related) - when the boiler fires, pressure goes off the chart... literally. The needle on the pressure gauge goes past where the numbers on the gauge end (last mark on the gauge is 70psi). Only a few drops out of the relief valve (1 drop every 3-4 seconds). Temp increases to 180F, then the boiler stops. Pressure declines steadily down to 15ish psi and remains there steady-state until the boiler fires again, when it increases significantly.

Could this be related (and perhaps alleviated with a new indirect)?

Thanks again!

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    That indirect is the same as a triangle tube smart.
    They are prone to weld failures. It sounds like yours is on top of the tank.
    The pressure issue is a serious concern. It may have caused the failure to begin with. If the gauge is accurate, you probably have a bad expansion tank and the more serious problem of a bad relief valve. What is the pressure rating on the relief valve and boiler.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    devsfan3
  • devsfan3
    Thanks Zman. The relief valve says “set gauge to 30psi”, so my assumption is it’s rated to 30psi. Not sure about the boiler; I’ll try to find the manual online and get back to you.
  • devsfan3
    Wanted to follow up in case someone else stumbles across this thread.

Both @boiler wrestler and @Zman were correct - Both the indirect and the expansion tank were shot. After replacing the expansion tank, the boiler pressure is consistently around 15psi. Will be replacing the indirect in the next few days.

Thanks guys!
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    What You may have is city water pressure entering your boiler through the leak. I would valve off the tank and drain and flush your water lines.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    devsfan3 said:

Wanted to follow up in case someone else stumbles across this thread.

Both @boiler wrestler and @Zman were correct - Both the indirect and the expansion tank were shot. After replacing the expansion tank, the boiler pressure is consistently around 15psi. Will be replacing the indirect in the next few days.

Thanks guys!

I think I would put the relief valve on the list as well. It should of gone off at 30psi.

You may be eligible for a warranty replacement on the indirect.
    I wouldn't mention the pressure issue.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein