Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How can I turn off steam heater?

My steam heater goes on full blast so much so that the paint is peeling, water is dripping down the wall and ceilings, mold is starting to form. The valve on top is where the steam comes out. The on/off valve on the bottom of the pic with the hand screw does not move left or right - for my strength. How can I turn the heat off? Ask a stronger person? Or hire a plumber?

Comments

• MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    Do you have control over the boiler or is this in an apartment?
  • This is an apartment. I do not have access to the boiler.
  • > @MilanD said:
    > Do you have control over the boiler or is this in an apartment?

This is an apartment. I do not have access to the boiler.
  • MilanD
    Did you call the super? What was their solution? At any rate, you can throw a blanket over the convector. It will act as a cozy, and leave only a section exposed so you have some heat. Otherwise, when the system is off, you can plug the vent with a 1/8 pipe and a cap. Or wrap the vent with packing tape to stop it from venting. No venting, no heating.
    steamheaterneedhelp
  • MilanD
    The fact it's steaming through the vent says the system is not working properly, probably very high op pressure, and is wasting a lot of fuel...
    steamheaterneedhelp
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    Don't try and move the inlet valve on the heater -- it will leak if you do (almost guaranteed). And if you get it partly closed, it will bang and gurgle. Not good.

If you don't need any heat from it, @MilanD 's suggestion of taking the vent off and putting a pipe and cap, or a plug, in its place will work. Otherwise, you can try putting tape over the hole in the vent. Packing tape might work. Electrical tape will work better. Neither one will be perfect -- but it will help. If you get a bit of plumber's putty and put that over the hole first, then put the tape on, it will work even better. Pretty drastic, but sometimes you've got to do what you've got to do.

Your super must be running that poor boiler at enough pressure to power a steam engine...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MilanDsteamheaterneedhelpRomanGK_26986764589
  • Thank you everyone. Will take your advice.