Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding a zone to Buderus GB142

Options
larryjbjr
larryjbjr Member Posts: 69
I have a Buderus GB142 that currently has 2 zones. I am looking to add a 3rd zone with a pump.

I'm not very familiar with the condensing boilers like this. Does the GB142 fire up once it sense flow? Or do I need to wire the thermostat to the boiler? Or?????

Any help would be appreciated....

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    You need to duplicate the way it was done to the other zones (which you didn't post). There are multilpe ways and each is dependent upon the type of radiation (which you didn't post) and how the other zones are done.

A word of caution: zoning up a low mass mod/con boiler is NOT a good practice, particularly with a micro zone. Short cycling and a shortened boiler life will result.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • larryjbjr
    larryjbjr Member Posts: 69
    Options
    I spent over an hour in the basement with a friend who is a handyman type and between the two of us we cannot figure out how they have it zoned right now....

I know that there is a metal junction box with two relays that control the pumps, but the thermostats go to two other relays on the wall.

I finally gave up though. This building has a crazy setup. The downstairs thermostat controls two rads downstairs and a few emitters upstairs, and the upstairs thermostat controls a few other emitters upstairs and two baseboards downstairs.....

I just was thinking that some of these boilers fire up automatically when they sense flow I think. At least, I thought they did. So I thought that I could just add another branch from the main supply, add a circulator, and a thermostat, and the boiler would fire up when the circ started circulating...

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    larryjbjr said:

I spent over an hour in the basement with a friend who is a handyman type and between the two of us we cannot figure out how they have it zoned right now....

I know that there is a metal junction box with two relays that control the pumps, but the thermostats go to two other relays on the wall.

I finally gave up though. This building has a crazy setup. The downstairs thermostat controls two rads downstairs and a few emitters upstairs, and the upstairs thermostat controls a few other emitters upstairs and two baseboards downstairs.....

I just was thinking that some of these boilers fire up automatically when they sense flow I think. At least, I thought they did. So I thought that I could just add another branch from the main supply, add a circulator, and a thermostat, and the boiler would fire up when the circ started circulating...

Nah, not gonna happen.

You need to post some pics of the boiler, it's near piping, pumps and controls. We also need to know what type of emitters you have.

Does the boiler have the AM10 control?

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.