Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

IBC SL 20-115 Boiler Problem

MAXwsd
MAXwsd Member Posts: 3
edited December 2017 in Gas Heating
I recorded this banging noise from my boiler. https://youtu.be/7zyl2BkNSS0 This is the first winter in use. There was an ignition error or "Failure to Ignite" error, something to that effect. Then after an hour it tried again and I got it on tape. It did ignite but that loud banging noise concerns me to say the least! Any ideas? Thank you!

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    Not many hours on it yet?
    I would call installer. You have delayed ignition, could be any number of things.
    MAXwsd
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Make sure your installer does a combustion analysis, when they come out. Have them at the very least leave a copy of the analysis in the boiler. Or give you the report.
    MAXwsd
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    Lp or Natural? Inlet gas pressure?
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    If you havent found the switch yet, there should be a toggle near the the boiler, near the equipment room entrance, top of the stairs? With a blue or red plate.
    But I hope a tech has been there already and fixed it.
  • JUGHNE
    Please let us know what the problem was.
  • MAXwsd
    JUGHNE said:

Please let us know what the problem was.

Still waiting to hear back from the plumber that installed it. He said he was contacting the IBC rep yesterday. Canada...
  • JUGHNE
    Following your youtube is one from IBC.
    Do you have a concentric exhaust termination?

I have this backfire in a commercial condensing water heater.
    The concentric thru the roof creates a negative pressure on the air inlet if a good windy day......25-35MPH.

Or on other ModCon is the bottom drain is plugged with what IBC calls "rabbit turds", (we use the more tactful term of coffee grounds), that can cause backfiring also.
  • MAXwsd
    edited December 2017
    JUGHNE said:

Following your youtube is one from IBC.
    Do you have a concentric exhaust termination?

I have this backfire in a commercial condensing water heater.
    The concentric thru the roof creates a negative pressure on the air inlet if a good windy day......25-35MPH.

Or on other ModCon is the bottom drain is plugged with what IBC calls "rabbit turds", (we use the more tactful term of coffee grounds), that can cause backfiring also.

I don't know what concentric exhaust is. There are two pipes coming out of the boiler through a chimney stack. The panel is now saying "ignition module" but it's making that god-awful noise every time it tries to fire up. Sometimes it fires up, sometimes it goes into error.
  • JUGHNE
    A concentric exhaust termination assembly has an obvious single pipe for exhaust with a lower cone/skirt around it for inlet.

The other option is 2 separate pipe ends separated by height or vertical distance.
  • evolvebg
    evolvebg Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just cam across this thred. If you are still having the problem with your boiler please let me know. I was having the same problem with mine and I have the fix.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,431
    Don't keep it to yourself.... whatcha got?