Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recent gas pipe install for standby generator...

john p_2
john p_2 Member Posts: 367
Installed some 1-1/2" gas pipe for a friend who is installing a standby generator.

Very difficult installing the unistruts for hanging the pipe due to tons of duct work just above the sheetrock as well as water lines & electric, ugh!!
Rich_49

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    Looks good, but that's a lot of wrenching. No CSST allowed?
  • Mike
    Mike Member Posts: 94
    No wrenching. Press fittings. I like the strut, helps to keep the press straight.
  • john p_2
    Press makes it so faster and cleaner than cut &:threading.
    Electrician will be on the strut as well.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,829
    > @Mike said:
    > No wrenching. Press fittings. I like the strut, helps to keep the press straight.

That's awesome! I didn't know there was such a thing. I'm just a dumb service guy.
    Can you bury it?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,624
    The press gas fittings still make me pucker up a little, but we've started using the ProPress tool on water. It's fast, fast, and fast. It's also fast.
    Rich_49
  • john p_2
    HVACNUT - the strut was installed where it had to be, so as not to hit duct work or water lines. I really wanted to keep the vertical piping next to soffits closer but the strut placement didn't allow for that.

Also, using 1-5/8" strut makes it tough to press the fitting. Next time will be doubling the strut, using a pc. of 7/8" first, then the 1-5/8"
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Is the pipe going down or up? If down, you need drip pockets.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    @ratio I was in the same camp with press fittings for gas for a long time. I have been using the water press fittings for a couple years now, and have no problems so far. We used megapress on one 1 1/2 gas line and my god they are nice, definitely changed my perspective. Very different than the water fittings, they make a rock solid joint. I would definitely recommend trying it sometime. My only gripe with the Rigid system is the cleaning tool, the abrasive clogs very quickly, we started just using a wire brush on grinder to do the initial clean then hit it with the cleaning tool, that worked very well. The 1 1/2 line we ran was like this one, backup generator, but it was all outside, came off the meter, went up the side of the house, across the roof and to the generator that was set on the roof (local noise ordinances, lack of property setbacks meant it was the only place we could put it). Installation was a breeze, and it looks sharp. I would recommend trying it out sometime, our local wholesaler lent us the dies to try on this job.
  • john p_2
    Delta T couldn't agree more...have one question, do you know if they sell an outdoor fitting? Don't want to get into any debate over using galvanized pipe outdoors but I do and prefer it to black pipe being painted, unless it is a jurisdictional requirement to be painted, of course.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited December 2017
    Yeah there are outdoor fittings. I'll post a pic of mine when I get home. The plumber did my whole has gen with press fittings on both ends. I think he wrapped something around the pipe too, maybe for UV protection.
    steve
  • john p_2
    Steve - just to be clear, I'm talking about an outdoor fitting when using Mega press fittings on black pipe ...not plastic pipe. You're throwing me a curve talking about UV protection.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Oh..my bad...it's 1 1/4" plastic.
    steve