Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Compatibility of Honeywell VS8187A 1344 and Honeywell VS8187A 1369 gas valves

Options
Jodella
Jodella Member Posts: 2
Our house has an old "snowman" heating system installed in 1925. It is operated with a Honeywell VS8187A 1344 gas valve. The system has worked very well for us for 20+ years. However, a few days ago, we found the temperature in the house at 62 degrees, although the thermostat was set to 67 degrees. Our heating person tested whether the thermostat or the gas valve was at fault and determined it was the valve. (I should add that about three years ago a similar situation occurred and we had to tap the gas valve with a wrench to get the furnace on while waiting for a new thermostat to be installed; once that was done, the system worked until the current problem arose.) It now appears that we need to buy a new gas valve for the old snowman. I've looked online (mostly ebay) and have found a number of used or "new/old stock" Honeywell VS8187A gas valves, but the numbers following the VS8187A vary. For example, one such valve is listed as VS8187A 1336 and another as VS8187A 1369. Could anyone tell me whether our current VS8187A 1344 can be replaced by either of the valves for sale on ebay? We'd really like to avoid having to deal with asbestos removal and the installation of a new furnace at this time. And we really like our very quiet and effective snowman...Thanks!

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Before you spend any money have a complete set of millivolt readings taken on your boiler. Many times it is some part of the system developing resistance due to age and all that needs done is to clean up some splices. I have a procedure here on Heating Help in the section at the top called before you ask. Just look for my name.

To answer your question either one of those would work fine if you insist on replacing the valve. Or you could upgrade the system with a VS820 gas valve which would require a little refitting.

The system you have is called a Powerpile system and they can be tricky to diagnose especially if you do not take a complete set of readings and then of course you have to know what the readings mean, I have written a complete manual on powerpile systems which can be ordered by contacting me at gastc@cox.net. Maybe not something you would want to purchase but your technician may need it.
  • Jodella
    Jodella Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for this information. I'll share it with my technician. We've left the thermostat on hold at 67 degrees since last Saturday and the system has been going on and off without a problem. It's good to know that we have the fallback to use the VS820 gas valve, if need be.