Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is it safe? Boiler Liner Half Gone!

Options
Granby_Dude
Granby_Dude Member Posts: 4
edited December 2017 in Oil Heating
Have a four year old Utica Trifire 6130 boiler. Was just serviced last month. For reasons too long to go into here, I didn't trust the service was done properly. Opened it up to check how well it was cleaned out and discovered the boiler had not been cleaned or vacuumed during the service. I'll take that up with their service manager. My reason for posting here is...I also discovered that the v-liner in the bottom of the boiler is half gone (specifically the back half). The target wall insulation is in good shape. Is this v-liner critical to safe operation, or does it contribute to efficiency?

Also, I looked the part up and it appears to be about $87. Why so much for a simple piece of sheet metal?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    As a general rule, boiler manufacturers do not put parts into their boilers which aren't needed. Therefore...

On the other hand, it sort of sounds as though the folks you have servicing your equipment may not be fully qualified and conscientious. Have you looked at "Find a Contractor"?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England