Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fujitsu indoor coil replacement

Hello to all,
I have a fujitsu air handler coil that has a leak and I am replacing it under warranty. I am trying to find a video or literature that could walk me through the process before I do the job but have not found anything. I contacted fujitsu but all they had was some info on how to remove the blower. Anyone have info?
Thanks, Charlie.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited November 2017
    Did the system ever run in a vacuum when low on charge?
    Is there a chance that air could have been sucked into the system thru the leak?
    There probably is a low pressure switch to shut down?

Is it a single inside coil or multi unit?
  • charliechicago
    charliechicago Member Posts: 130
    Thanks for getting back.
    It never ran in a vacuum.
    It’s a single. One ton.
  • JUGHNE
    IIWM, and I was certain that the charge was never contaminated, I guess I would just pump it down.
    Disconnect unit, assuming flare fittings.
    Hang and connect new.
    Then just like original installation.
    I do not use quick connections for testing or evac.
    I pressure with 300 to 500 PSI of dry N2.
    Triple evac with N2 flush each time.
    On the last evac with good micron holding.
    I crack open and then close the small line to pressurize the system slightly then use the quick connect fittings after that.

With the existing lineset I have found it requires more vac pump time because of oil in the lines.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    I think the OP wants to replace just the indoor coil? Not a job I'd want, especially warranty if it didn't include labor to as well. Any reason they won't just replace the head? I don't think any of our suppliers would do that to us.
  • JUGHNE
    I was assuming the complete head. Not just the copper coil.
    I would fight to get the complete head if under warranty.

I have had complete Sanyo/Panasonic outdoor units furnished for a compressor failure under warranty. I would remind them that there are other good brand name mini's for future use by you.
    Almost pay some out of pocket to avoid the unpaid labor.
    (I have done this losing money, but time is worth something)
  • Mike
    Mike Member Posts: 94
    Change the whole unit. You'don't be taken apart the entire unit. Easier, quicker, and no worries about missING a wire connection.
  • charliechicago
    Thanks for the answers.
    I’m sorry it wasn’t clear, I am only replacing the coil. My Supply house, who I have a good relationship with said Fujitsu will only supply the coil. Is that something I should fight with Fujitsu about or the Supply house? Anyway, they said the air handler is already obsolete so I have no choice but to replace the coil.
    Thanks, Charlie.
  • ratio
    How old is it? Odd that it's both a warranty replacement and obsolete equipment.

If you know the guys at the supply house aren't just telling you that Fujitsu will only supply the coil, maybe you can talk direct to the Fujitsu rep. If it's something that they feel should be warranted even after the unit is obsolete, maybe they have support docs/videos to go with it.

• radmix
    radmix Member Posts: 194
    Fujitsu will only replace entire unit if it fails within the 1st year. After that they will only replace the coil.
  • ratio
    How old is the system?

I'm just curious now, I really don't have much else to offer re changing out the coil, sorry. Go slow, take pictures, don't loose the screws!

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    I hate it when these manufacturers do this to us. It makes us ( contractors) look bad, and usually dips hard into our time and out of pocket expense. Good luck guess I will be thinking twice about them.
  • charliechicago
    Thanks everyone.
    Dennis, I’m with you.
    Ratio, it’s only three years old. You are right! So slow and take pictures.
    Radmix, and anyone else, are other manufacturers better with this type of thing. I really like fugitsu and my local Supply house sells them but it other manufactures have a better warranty I would at least look into it.
    Thanks, Charlie.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    I would go to the owner/manager of your vendor and have him bring your local Fujitsu Rep and Fujitsu Regioinal Manager into the conversation. Your Supply House should be on your side in this and should fight for you. That unit is defective, deficient, etc and should be replaced. You are upside down on this job all ready having to even replace the evap complete. If they are not paying your labor I would demand support from them for a full replacement. The Rep can make this disappear. It won't be easy for him, but you bought the unit in good faith. You shouldn't get buried on this. Oh, tell them that the customer demands a full evap replacement, and they should.
    DZoro