Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wood Boiler connection to Weil McClein Boiler

I have a wood boiler plumbed ready for use. I need to make my final connections to my Weil McClein oil burner. I am connecting to the return manifold and the supply manifold of the furnace. Do I need to install shut off valves on the manifolds so the water does not circulate thru the furnace. Or is that normal for the water to travel thru the oil burner

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Is the wood boiler pressurized? If not, are you using a heat exchanger?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited December 2017
    you should have a water to water heat exchanger. This should be fed to your water heater first then boiler second. This way if something happens with your wood boiler your house system can take over. You cannot tie the wood boiler directly into your oil system.
  • dlaprad1014
    dlaprad1014 Member Posts: 3
    Yes I have a heat exchanger. Sorry I did not specify that. So the feed and return lines from the heat exchanger to my existing oil boiler will flow thru the boiler? I will only need to turn down the temperature on the boiler.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,023
    The best piping is parallel. You really don't want to heat the wood fired unit with the fossil fueled boiler. Some good piping drawings and concepts here.

https://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/coll_attach_file/idronics_10_0.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • dlaprad1014
    dlaprad1014 Member Posts: 3
    Here’s a picture of what I’m trying to explain. I have my supply and return coming off my oil boiler. I also have my supply and return from the heat exchanger. I’m the picture the blue line is my cold return to oil boiler. Red lines is the hot supply line. I have 2 zones in my house plus the hot water tank. Now I’m tying into those 2 manifold lines with the heat exchanger. Now do I use the existing oil furnace as part of the system, so the water continues to travel thru the furnace. And I just turn down the temperature on it so it won’t fire?
  • Ironman
    I'll send you a diagram this afternoon.
    Bob Boan
  • Ironman
    @dlaprad1014
    I sent you a p/m.
    Bob Boan