Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Non working oil boiler situation - did I flood the combustion chamber?

Options
Hi All,

First time homeowner and with no experience with oil boiler. Unfortunately, I didn't know better when hitting the reset button. But after hours and days of searching the forums and watching videos, I realized that was a bad move and a very dangerous move.

I have pressed the reset button probably like 10 times or more. It is a 8 year old Burham oil boiler with a beckett unit with a Honeywell Primary Control. I think it might be in restricted lockout right now since the light is constantly blinking. Question: if a boiler is in restricted lockout, does pressing the reset button push more oil to the combustion chamber?

Every time the reset button was hit, it appears the motor moves for a few seconds then everything just stops. No fire, no nothing. I also have not had an annual service done, so I'm hoping it is a clogged nozzle or dirty filter. I do plan to check the filter and nozzle this weekend.

Is there a way for me to check if the combustion chamber is flooded, aside from trying to smelling for it?

I did not contact a pro yet because I did plan to do an oil to gas conversion the coming summer. If I did indeed flooded the combustion chamber or if there is a bigger issue. Then, I would rather save that money and expedite the conversion. Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    Ah... well... The only suggestion I have is three fold: first, find the emergency switch for the boiler and turn it off and tag it. Then, call a really qualified oil tech. (your oil company may have one) and get them coming. And three, tell the poor person who comes exactly what you have done so that they don't try to fire off the unit without completely cleaning it out first.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Grallertthisnismine
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options

Hi All,
    First time homeowner and with no experience with oil boiler.

Then why did you touch it?

...I have pressed the reset button probably like 10 times or more.

Please stop doing that!

Question: if a boiler is in restricted lockout, does pressing the reset button push more oil to the combustion chamber?

Yes, you're building a bomb!

I also have not had an annual service done, so I'm hoping it is a clogged nozzle or dirty filter. I do plan to check the filter and nozzle this weekend.

Yeah, stop trying to work on this yourself. You have no parts, no skills, no proper tools, and no experience. You're not going to fix this by watching a few youtube videos.

I did not contact a pro yet because I did plan to do an oil to gas conversion the coming summer.

What's that have to do with your immediate potentially dangerous, situation?

I would rather save that money and expedite the conversion.

You're not talking about a lot of money for an annual service, to fix what's wrong, and undo what you did. Just get a pro in there before you regret it.
    steve
    thisnismine
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    A few seconds or 15 to 20 seconds. Which is it. A few secs and something is wrong with the motor. The blinking light may be a error code.
    thisnismine
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited November 2017
    Options
    unclejohn said:

A few seconds or 15 to 20 seconds. Which is it. A few secs and something is wrong with the motor. The blinking light may be a error code.

I don't think anyone should encouraging him to keep playing around with this.

steve
    Canuckerthisnismine
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    Don't panic. shut the boiler off and call a qualified service company. They'll fix you right up. Have them clean and tune the boiler. They'll give you a heads up on things to look for and potential future issues.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    thisnismine
  • thisnismine
    thisnismine Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks guys. I do not plan to fire this thing up at all. I know I'm in a bad situation and have it shut off completely.

My goal is to troubleshoot it (with it off) to see if it is worth fixing.
    From the sounds of it, it sounds like I need a clean/tune to address the issues.

The motor moves for like 30 seconds or more.
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 644
    Options
    It will lock out because it doesn't see a flame or it thinks it doesn't see a flame. There are a pile of reasons for this. Commonly there is a failure to ignite, again for a few reasons.
    In your case it seems that in fact it is failing to ignite. that will narrow it down. Pump coupling, igniter, electrodes, blocked filter, strainer or nozzle. lack of fuel. These and more. For pretty short money someone will fix what's broke and you won't have to through money time at it. You will also avoid a big old nasty mess.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    thisnismineCTOilHeat
  • thisnismine
    thisnismine Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Appreciate the insight, I will look for someone to take a look. Thanks!
  • CapeCodOilGuy
    CapeCodOilGuy Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2017
    Options
    #3 of Jamie Hall's advice is extremely important-tell the COMPETENT, EXPERIENCED service person you call how many times you pushed the reset button. The service person can take it from there, but if you fail to tell him, you can end up with considerable property damage and a hell of a mess. And for heaven's sake, don't fool with it any more. You can't trouble shoot the unit, because by your own admission you haven't the skills or equipment to do so safely. This isn't a sin-the only sin would be to try to do so anyway.