Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

oil tank vent whisle

Options
dreads
dreads Member Posts: 17
My oil tank whistle is clogged. I want to take it out and clean it or replace it. In the vent pipe is a union? (see pics) looking at the union the left side seems to be where it should come apart. When I put the pipe wrench on the middle part and pull down the middle moves but so does the right side at the pipe it is attached to and not the union. I am "assuming" the right side piece of the union is frozen to the middle. Am I correct and any suggestions on how to free it. I have been putting penetrating oil on it . Thanks

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    You have to use two wrenches one to loosen the union nut and one to hold the other side.

First, get two hammers, put one behind the union nut and hold it tightly to the nut and hit the nut from the opposite side with the other hammer a few
    times. A big hammer on the back and a smaller hammer to hit with

Works every time
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    I'll add 2 bigger wrenches and/or 2 cheater bars.
    When you say 'clogged' do you mean not whistling? Looks like
    1 1/4" pipe so it may be the driver is fueling at high speed. Either way you may need a new whistle all together, and it may not line up when you re-install it.
    ONE VERY IMPORTANT NOTE, because you are doing this yourself. Put a baggy over the fill pipe with a note in it "Do Not Fill, Tank Disconnected". Just in case you have to run out and get something, or stop to answer the phone, and either your regularly scheduled delivery or someone delivering to the wrong house starts filling up your tank.
    Also, no teflon tape, just pipe dope when you re-install the whistle.
    I'd also recommend having someone watch the next fill up, just to make sure everything is correct-whistling and no leaks.
    steve
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • dreads
    dreads Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you both I will let the penetrating oil soak a little and then try. STEVEusaPA Can filling too fast cause the whistle not to work? Because it seems as if the whistle was working sometimes? I thought maybe I could heat the union with the torch! Only kidding. "Any one have a match I think I'm out of gas"
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Older whistles and smaller pipes vs. newer trucks with higher pump pressures.
    Easiest way to tell is have the driver hook up, low speed, start pumping slow, gradually increasing to fully open. You should hear the whistle the whole time. If you hear it then it drops off, then it's the higher pressure fill.
    Keep in mind by code your vent should be equal or larger than your supply piping so the vent can properly relieve the pressure of filling.
    From the looks of your pictures, I would recommend you replace the whistle and piping and bring it up to code.
    steve
    Brewbeer
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    i pour sludge clean down the vent pipe, if your lucky it will loosen up the crud in the whistle, its a fifty fifty shot and the sludge clean wont hurt your tank either
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options

i pour sludge clean down the vent pipe, if your lucky it will loosen up the crud in the whistle, its a fifty fifty shot and the sludge clean wont hurt your tank either

Yeah...I wouldn't do that. Next fill it blows that out the vent and gets on...who knows what.
    steve
    Solid_Fuel_Man