Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

insulate boiler room walls?

dvi2020
dvi2020 Member Posts: 34
I'm having a new direct-vent wall-hung high efficiency gas boiler installed with an indirect hot water tank. The boiler room is in the basement 13' x 4' with 6' ceiling. Concrete walls and floor, partially below grade with one window. Should I insulate the room before intallation? Will it make a significant difference in cost savings or heat loss from the boiler and tank to the cool/cold room? The pipes will be insulated.

If so, how should I do it. One option is to actually frame out walls with 2x4's, add pink insulation and cover with fire rated sheetrock on which to hang the boiler. However this is a lot of work and I'm wondering if it's worth it and whether there is any other method. I understand that exposed foam on the walls is a fire hazard and would fail inspection.

Thanks for any insight.
David

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    In my opinion it's not worth the cost of insulation and lumber and labor. But your location may be the deciding factor. What State are you located in??
    dvi2020
  • dvi2020
    edited November 2017
    Passaic county in northern NJ
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    NOPE even in the Cold White North!
    dvi2020
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is the rest of the basement insulated/finished?
    dvi2020
  • dvi2020
    The rest basement will eventually be finished and heated but not for another three years. The boiler room will have a normal door separating it from the rest of the basement, not a louvered door.
  • Brewbeer
    Brewbeer Member Posts: 616
    Use XPS foamboard against the concrete foundation for insulation, it has better moisture repelling and drying properties than fiberglass. Still need framing to hold the sheetrock firebarrier up.
    The insulation probably won't save much energy, but it will increase comfort, and that's important too. There is a warm spot in my kitchen floor above the boiler which is nice in bare feet.
    Hydronics inspired homeowner with self-designed high efficiency low temperature baseboard system and professionally installed mod-con boiler with indirect DHW. My system design thread: http://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/154385
    System Photo: https://us.v-cdn.net/5021738/uploads/FileUpload/79/451e1f19a1e5b345e0951fbe1ff6ca.jpg
    dvi2020
  • dvi2020
    thanks. it sounds like the consensus is that it's not worth it which contradicts what I've read. Is that because it's a high efficiency boiler and not a cast iron?
    if i use XPS it looks like it's only 2" thick so I could frame with smaller 2x3's instead of 2x4's..if you think that's permissable...
  • Formerly
    Formerly Member Posts: 79
    you do not want to use fiberglass. The strategies for insulating basements are changing rapidly due to discoveries that vapor barriers hurt more than help. You either let the vapors flow into the living space, or you completely block them with XPS and tape/expansion foam the seams. you will capture moisture in the wall using fiberglass. Don't do it up against the concrete/cmu's
    dvi2020