Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Took out

Options
MikeJ
MikeJ Member Posts: 103
cast iron sectional boiler with injection system, and installed 400,000 Lochinvar boiler.
Never have been impress with the injection system. Seems to always take so long to warm up the floors.
With this old system he said it would take days to heat up. Then the old boiler would never shut off.

Hoping the new boiler will be a big improvement for them.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    400k....That must be some huge mansion.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    Zman
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    Options
    Beautiful work!

Too bad this stuff has to live in a basement or utility room, it should be on display for all to see :)
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    I would think only time you have to wait for the floors to heat up would be the first day of winter every year, then the outdoor reset could manage the system until spring.—NBC
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Wow, looks nice dig the diamomd plate!

What's it heating? 400k in three loops is some load!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Can 1 1/4" copper handle 400K?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Sure, at about a 52 degree differential... (14 GPM max recommended for 1-1/4")

If its 1-1/2" then it can handle a 33 degree differential :-)

If that rubber hose is Onix, make sure you keep lots of corrosion inhibitors in that system, or expect the ferrous components to slowly dissolve. If its not Onix... I don't know what to say.

ME

ZmankcoppDan Foley
  • MikeJ
    Options
    Its heating a big shop about 14,000 square feet, 3,000 is for office area, They don't worry too much about the office, have geo heat pumps doing that area. If the system is better they may be doing the office more. One of the upper office ladies said she hate shoes and would like to be able to not wear them. :)

Then 5,000 square feet is for a wash bay area where they clean their earth moving equipment,

The copper pipe is 1 1/2" in size
    https://www.screencast.com/t/7tgTug1K

They have a party in the warehouse in November, and I was told if they didn't turn the old system on several days in advance they would be having their party with jackets on.
    Here is a picture of the injection pump from the old system.
    https://www.screencast.com/t/2a3f12n5s2e

https://www.screencast.com/t/2usETQaOO5
    Like I said never understood injection, every one I worked on always seemed slow. One area of town has a few building with injection and it looks like they were all design by the same person. Once they warm up the building they worked OK.

Had one that drove me nuts, every thing seem to be working pumps, boiler, controls but it would not heat. Come to fine after checking the amps more closely on the injector pump the capacitor was bad on a B&G pump. The circulator was ruining but just ruining slow. Hard to just get a capacitor for a circulator pump. Replaced the pump and it starting heating.

@KC_Jones nice picture album even had the kids helping, very nice
    Thanks Guys
  • MikeJ
    Options
    @ME yes it is Onix, I have never herd that needing corrosion inhibitors with Onix.
    Would like to know more about this.

For this job plan on installing polypropylene, have water in system now for a couple of weeks, their were some leaks out in the manifolds we took care of. Couple of the manifolds are behind walls will wait make sure we hold pressure.

Have a couple of jobs that are using onix and pex, using water in them no inhibitors, do they need inhibitors?

This Old system never had a screen before, on start up boiler worked great for about a hour then the screen plugged, boiler started tripping out. Have clean screen couple of times now.

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    How did the old iron circulator look inside? Was the water brown with rust?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • MikeJ
    Options
    @Solid_Fuel_Man never did see them, they cut all the copper and pumps out for the scrap.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Users and replacers tell me that it has rusting and sludging issues. It has an oxygen barrier on it, but there is a parallel path for oxygen to get into the fluid at every tube cut that is placed on a barbed fitting. So yes, even if you have glycol in it, you need to monitor and maintain a proper pH on it for the components you have in the system. 7.6 to 8.5 for ferrous (iron and steel) components. The byproduct of not doing maintenance is oxidation (rust).

Come to think of it, if I were using this tube, I take some of that aluminum duct tape ,and place it around the cut that is placed on the manifold to give you an additional O2 barrier right where it has been cut. In your case, using large bore tube, not too many cuts. But on most sub distribution manifold, LOTS of cuts, and lots of work to apply this additional oxygen barrier on the ends of the hose. I always carry aluminum duct tape :wink:

ME

MikeJ
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,434
    Options
    Onix is supposed to have an O2 barrier on it but I have not seen a "good" system w it in it. Nothing but issues here in NH. These are pictures in the latest system I worked on. Flushed, cleaned w/ Fernox, flushed again and inhibited w/ Fernox.
    Solid_Fuel_ManMikeJ
  • MikeJ
    Options
    Thanks @Mark Eatherton and @kcopp
    I will check those systems using onix, and put some inhibitors in and check the PH very curious see what I fine.

Place in town that sells onix has never mention this :o