Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube CC150 Challenger. It’s challenging my patience

TLM
TLM Member Posts: 38
I have a customer with a cc150. 2 months old. Ran good for about 3 weeks. Now it won’t recycle and locks out with a 4E code - means flame failure or loss of signal. Found a cut in the ignition cable. Thought “ha this is the problem” NO. Still acting up. Spoke w factory re this. Natural gas fired. 9” inlet. Drops to 6.9”WC on forced high fire. Clocked the meter to 132,061btu. Adjusted mixture w analyzer to midpoint factory settings 45 ppm CO. Book says <100ppm. Unit fires drops flame does this twice and on the third time seems to ramp down and stay rectified. Runs for 3 hrs or so then locks out.
Mount Pleasant Plumbing and Heating Inc

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I was called in on a similar problem w/ a Challenger 125 combi.... What did the "factory" say?
    TLM
  • TLM
    Check the grounding. Try changing the ignition transformer. I did. It’s still the same.
  • kcopp
    I have a ton of these out there... between the IBC DC/ HC and Triangle tube Challenger.
    Been reliable.
    Tell me more on the install...
    Venting?
    Gas pressure steady? New or old meter/ regulator?
    Any CSST?
  • TLM
    Piping is correct. Venting is correct. Brand new house. Brand new street. No csst that I can see. All steel pipe with mega press. Gas pressure was 9.2” no draw ( lock up) 6.9 “ when running on high fire.
  • TLM
    They’re a pretty reliable unit. Almost bullet proof.
  • kcopp
    The install I went to repair that had the same sounding issue was a 3 yr old LP gas unit.
    Gas pressure was good.
    I did a total teardown.
    Cleaned it head to toe... which as you know is very easy to do.
    Cleaned probe and igniter.
    I checked both low and high fire and made just a ever so slight adjustment.

Its been great since.
  • Guy_Woollard
    Guy_Woollard Member Posts: 5
    Check with Triangle tech support on this, but here's what I think: At low fan speed, the fuel mixture is falling off. I always set these by the CO2, and there's a chance that the mixture is too low at low fire. It should only be .5% max difference from the high fire reading. Yes, they are set at the factory, but the factory has different gas, venting etc. than any final site, so what is fine for most installations may not pan out for all.
    TLM
  • TLM
    I did richen the mixture a bit. Maybe I need to revisit thanks Guy.
  • kcopp
    Post back and let us know how is goes please...
  • TLM
    edited November 2017
    As of today it’s still acting up. I have a 9.7 %CO2 at both high and low fire. (I had to make a slight tweak on the low fire) I’ve ohmed out the new ignition cable -995ohms. I’ve tried a different ignition transformer. Ive checked the low voltage side of the fan motor -I get 27vdc on blk and white and 19.7 to .7 between blue and white on a call for heat. 2 hrs later it’s still not right. Unhappy customer and unhappy me. And of course the factory is closed the day after thanksgiving.
  • kcopp
    Where are you? If its close by I'd run by to put a set of fresh eyes on it....
  • TLM
    The home is in Marshfield MA
  • kcopp
    Any resolution?
  • TLM
    I ended up changing the control board.
    kcopp