Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help with wiring of Profusion Heater and Aube relay w/ external thermostat

Options
KentuckyGrandpa
KentuckyGrandpa Member Posts: 3
I have the Aube RC840T and was going to use on the profusion EH-4604 5000W electric heater. The heater shows wiring diagram if I was using a line voltage thermostat, but since this isn’t line voltage type thermostat question is do I unhook/unwire the heater’s thermostat, to bypass it? I tried to attach diagram of heaters wiring but wouldn’t allow me. Like to see wiring diagram of where the connections of Aube relay will tie in and which wires I need to unland and not use. Attached are wiring diagram of heater and Aube relay.

Comments

• KentuckyGrandpa
    Options
    Dang no one to assist
    Zman
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I would leave the built int stat in place. You should be able to just go with the black on the aube to the power source and the red to L1. Your problem will come with the neutral (white wire). Do you have one?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • KentuckyGrandpa
    Options
    I plan on leaving existing thermostat in place but didn’t know if I needed to unwired it out of the circuit. The Aube shows neutral being L2
    Zman
  • Zman
    Options
    You can just leave the t-stat wired and turn the temp up.
    The L2 you are wiring to the heater is hot as the heater is 240 volt. I believe you will need a separate neutral back to the panel to make the relay work correctly.
    Albert Einstein
    KentuckyGrandpa
  • Zman
    Options
    @KentuckyGrandpa I see you took the time to disagree with my suggestion.

Please connect the neutral on the Aube to L2 on a 240 volt circuit and report back on how that works.

Just for giggles, you might try checking the voltage from L2 to ground and see if it measures ~120 volt
    Albert Einstein
  • jgsieve
    jgsieve Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018
    Options
    i'm looking at doing the same thing with two heaters/relays and one tstat using the honeywell relay RC840T-240

heaters are https://hw.menardc.com/main/items/media/HEIND001/Install_Instruct/ph945.pdf

a 5kw heater used 10awg, this thing is 12 awg, it's rated at 22 amp, so is this safe?
  • Zman
    Options
    The OP was trying to use the 120 volt version.
    It looks like the 240 volt version will work nicely.
    It is rated to 22 amp and you will be attaching 20.83 amps. It should work just fine.
    Albert Einstein