Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Are These Pipes Covered With Asbestos?

Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
Hi.
Can anyone tell me if these pipes are covered in asbestos?
Thanks
Joe
HHI Services LLC

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Yes, that is a asbestos treated cardboard insulation. I have it on my steam mains also. You can encapsulate it or have it removed. Mine are painted and I just leave it be.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    You can get bags to encapsulate. The trick is to wet everything. All elbows are high grade asbestos. Also wet them and put them in plastic bags.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Judging by the looks of the dust I'd suggest leaving it alone and having a proper abatement done. Get a pro in there to take care of the issue and be done with it..
    Grallert
  • Joseph_4
    Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
    Thanks to all for your comments.. greatly appreciated!
    Joe
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Better off leaving it , you will never install new insulation on them pipes
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    could always doctor it up with Childers mastic and cheese cloth.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    I've used -- with great success -- the plaster impregnated gauze bandages doctor's use to make casts. Come in rolls of various widths. Cut off a manageable length, get it nice and wet, wrap it around the stuff making several layers -- when it dries, presto your asbestos is safe and encapsulated.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    MilanD
  • mxfrank
    mxfrank Member Posts: 22
    Asbestos pipe insulation can become a problem if you sell the property. To protect your investment, a documented abatement is your best bet.
    Grallert
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I believe they call that insulation "aircell" and it does contain asbestos. The fittings are also covered with material likely containing asbestos
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    It looks like it is, but the ONLY foolproof way is to have it tested. I know people are going to do what they want, but unless you have training and use the correct respirator, abatement materials and techniques, you really shouldn't be touching it all. Asbestos abatement is no longer exorbitant as it was 25-30 yrs ago. It's pretty affordable. Asbestos exposure has a long latency period to illness and just because your not hacking or choking when your disturbing it NOW, don't be fooled. Its always an issue when house is sold. Get an abatement contractor and get an air sample before & after. Mad Dog
    Brewbeer
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    mxfrank said:

Asbestos pipe insulation can become a problem if you sell the property. To protect your investment, a documented abatement is your best bet.

On the other hand, if it's there you can use that to reduce your real estate tax assessment... >:)
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    @Jamie Hall not ever place does that, actually most areas I am familiar with don't. The house assessment is based on square footage and location, that's about it. My township has no clue what's in my house.

For all they know the house is made out of asbestos, wouldn't make a difference.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15