Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

central home oil heater exhaust and damper adjustment

paulmars
paulmars Member Posts: 87
My oil heater was replaced 12 years ago. its been working fine all these years. now I need to move the exhaust exit from roof to gable opening. This will lengthen the tube by about 50%. I will do a tune up afterwards. I see no weight on the adjustable damper and i see no hole to check the pressure. So, I suspect that it was never adjusted when the heater was replaced. Also, the old heater exhaust tube was larger diameter, so the new smaller heater exhaust tube (5.5") is fitted to the larger tube (7") right below the damper. That would effect the pressure, I know. So, Im thinking that I should get new exhaust piping to match the tube coming from the heater, right? However, this means a smaller diameter longer exhaust run. Also a new damper too, one that has a weight that i can adjust. comments?

The Dwyer mark II is the cheapest manometer that i can find resolution down to 0.01 and it has great user ratings. Comments?

bryant install paperwork gives no info on exhaust. beckett paper work says 1/4" rise for every 12", might need an exhaust fan to pull the exhaust out, if exhausting to out side of building, it's better to have the combustion air intake going thru the same wall to balance the unit. I dont understand that and it has worked fine all these years with intake in garage, exhaust outside roof.
comments?

pics https://imgur.com/a/6pxXn

tks,
pa

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    You're using the wrong pipe for the flue, and you can't use that amount of length to get thru the roof. By code it's all wrong. Once you get thru the roof you'll need to be 2.5' higher than anything within 10 ft.
    This isn't a DIY project. You need someone who will do it correctly.
    steve
    DZoro
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    why are u moving your flue?
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • paulmars
    installation 12 years ago was by licensed contractor and it passed city inspection.

because I want if off the roof. reason is not relevant.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    No problem with the reason; that's your choice. However... you are going to have to do the new venting correctly according to code, the boiler manual, and you local authority having jurisdiction. I have serious doubts that the smaller longer exhaust vent which you are proposing will meet any of those three. If the boiler is not intended to be used with an induced draught fan, it can't be, and that's that -- and no clever magic with dampers will change either one.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    HVACNUTDZoro
  • paulmars
    bryant install paperwork gives no info on exhaust. beckett paper work says 1/4" rise for every 12", might need an exhaust fan to pull the exhaust out
  • STEVEusaPA
    edited November 2017
    paulmars said:

bryant install paperwork gives no info on exhaust..., might need an exhaust fan to pull the exhaust out

It probably tells you to install & vent it according to NFPA 31 & NFPA 211
    Keep hacking away...
    steve
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    The folks here on this site are for the most part professionals and very safety conscious. We all see an unsafe situation judging by your picture. Most here are willing to offer a work around as long as the solution is safe. It really is all about doing a job correctly and with the home owners well being paramount.
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    STEVEusaPACTOilHeat
  • paulmars

It probably tells you to install & vent it according to NFPA 31 & NFPA 211

If it did I would have said so.

• paulmars
    Grallert said:

The folks here on this site are for the most part professionals and very safety conscious. We all see an unsafe situation judging by your picture. Most here are willing to offer a work around as long as the solution is safe. It really is all about doing a job correctly and with the home owners well being paramount.

I haven't gotten any yet.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    paulmars said:

Grallert said:

No? Well, you have, but perhaps you didn't care for what was said. We can't help that. Good luck.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    CanuckerDZoro
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 643
    paulmars said:

Grallert said:

www.fieldcontrols.com
    www.tjernlund.com
    www.beckettcorp.com
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker
    Canucker
  • STEVEusaPA
    paulmars said:

If it did I would have said so.

So what's your goal here Paul?
    You just want to do it no matter if it's wrong and against code?
    Then just do it. If your house burns down or someone dies from CO poisoning, you're on the hook for doing it wrong. Pleading ignorance doesn't relieve you from liability.

steve
    CanuckerDZoro
  • paulmars
    Ive read NFPA 31 and 211 and my city code requirements. I dont see violations with my current system and it looks like my modification is acceptable.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Then you have your mind already made up and nothing any of us can say to change that
    DZoro
  • STEVEusaPA
    At least he is still alive...
    And you read it wrong...
    steve