Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How can I tell !

Options
JWise
JWise Member Posts: 5
I have a Gorton #1 on my main, how can I tell if it’s venting properly ? Am I supposed to be hearing a ton of steam come through ?

I did just order a big mouth on amazon to replace this.

I know I have an oversized boiler and venting on my main is most important. Is there a link soemwhere as to how to properly vent the rest of my home ? Do I want fast venting on all radiators since the boiler is oversized and short cycles over and over ? And does large venting mean the radiator heats up faster as opposed to a small vent that would take longer to heat up ?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You want to vent the mains as fast as possible and the radiators slowly. If you vent the radiators too fast, the steam will race across them and close the vents before all the air is out. Once you have your mains properly vented, you want to use radiator vents that may vary in size or adjustment to heat the room to a comfortable temp.
    You can test that Gorton by holding a tissue up to it when the boiler starts to make steam. If it is opening, the tissue should flutter.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    But you won't -- or shouldn't -- get any steam coming out. It should close as soon as steam gets to it.

Odds are that that Gorton was too small anyway. The Big Mouth should fix that.

I might add that if the boiler shuts off on pressure before most of the radiators are mostly warm, odds are that you need more main venting, not faster radiator venting.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England