Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smart Thermostats for Viessmann Vitopend 100

megajinn
megajinn Member Posts: 1
Hello,
I am looking for recommendations for a smart Internet-enabled thermostat to remotely control my Viessmann Vitopend 100. My research shows that tado thermostat is compatible with my heater. But I'm not sure about others, like Nest, Lyric, ecobee, etc.
My heater has the following wires to connect to the thermostat: 1, L, N.
Currently, I have Honeywell CM-707.
Can anyone recommend which models work with my Viessmann?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Almost any of them will "work", provided that you have a common wire to the thermostat. After all is said and done, even the most whiz-bang thermostat is, so far as the heating system is concerned, an on-off switch closing the circuit to whatever else is in your system.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    yes i am thinking you'll need a relay control; there is no C that i am aware of. Get a Taco SR510 or something similar and you'll be good to go
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 138
    edited November 2017
    Hate to get on my soap box, but since this is your first post, I
    recommend you and anybody else interested in an Internet enabled thermostat read this before purchasing one.

My current recommendations for Internet enabled thermostats with internal web servers that avoid these issues are: Most WIFI t-stats use a hosted site instead of a local web server because of ease of setup. It's easier for non-technically inclined consumers to whip out their cellphone and input a password to access their thermostat than it is to ask a consumer to fiddle with IP addresses and other arcane stuff. However, this convenience comes at the expense of flexibility, privacy and long term security as pointed out in the blog post I linked to. If your tstat has a local web server, then as long as your home network is OK, you don't need Internet access to access your thermostat and don't have some company tracking your cooling and heating needs month after month.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Amen, brother @Wellness , and welcome to my soap box!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    I just ran in to a situation a few weeks ago with a 100 that wasn't heating. The boiler was running and providing heat, but with the ODR and the customers large cast iron radiators, the low modulation wasn't heating the home.
    I adjusted the parameters and all was good. Nice hot rads.
    Two days later, the call came back in.
    The customer has a Nest thermostat and was fighting the boiler. NG.
    Viessmann does not recommend a smart, or setback thermostat. Set it and forget it for. If set up properly, it's designed to always run and ramp up or down as needed.
  • Edgar1985
    Edgar1985 Member Posts: 1
    Ecobee is a very good thermostat.
    You can read my review and I hope it will help you.