Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recommendations for SS indirect descaler

What have you had the best luck descaling 316L water heaters with 316L smooth coils? What process and ratio did you use?
Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I descaled my old Solar Phoenix recently with one of those tankless water heater "bucket" kits. I put the hose do by the coils with a homemade sprayer head, like a mini sprinkler head.

I think as long as you flush well after the acid bath it should be okay?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    This is a solar dual coil as well. Not sure if acid or alkaline is better. Calcium carbonate and lime ate the main culprits I believe. Did you heat it up or just wash down with pump and bucket? I'm thinking enough water to cover lower coil and dump in cleaner, heat coil, and soak for some undetermined time, drain. Then thoroughly flush repeatedly. Just doing it as a PM on my own system which has been in operation since 2010.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I think the cleaner will work better if there is some movement of fluid from the pump, around the coils.

The water did get warm just from that little pump circulating it.

I think acid is the better choice for the common scaling minerals calcium, magnesium etc.

I've used Hercules Sizzle for deleting also, a bit stronger acid, it is listed for DHW use, follow the dilution instruction, used straight it is very powerful.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Options I have used are running the boiler water through the coils at 180 and hitting the coil w/ cold water. This would shock the scale off.

Other option to Sizzle could be Fernox DS40. Its a citric acid based descaler.... Bit more easier to work w/ that the Hydrochloric acid
    https://www.fernox.com/sites/default/files/product_datasheets/ds40_system_cleaner_v.001.pdf
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I'll try it out this week and see how much comes off. Thanks for the collective wisdom of this site!
  • Leon82
    Leon82 Member Posts: 684
    My flow aid bucket kit came with their solution for descaling. It says its biodegradable.