Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Threading Machine Opinions

NYplumber
NYplumber Member Posts: 503
Hi, I am looking for a new threaded.

We never had the need for one as we don't do a crazy amount of gas work. There was always a machine available at one of my friends companies which was nice because each job I got to test a different model out.

I am considering the Ridgid or Rothenberger machines. Generally we don't do over two inch pipe work however on occasion we do three or four inch for steam headers.
What's important is that the head is self oiling and that the jaw releases when the threading is complete.
Another not that important feature is the ability to tighten a fitting onto the pipe. I recall that this can only be done on the Ridgid line up.

Looking forward to opinions and recommendations.
:NYplumber:

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    We started using the Wheeler Rex 7090 15 years ago and have never looked back . Ridgid 300 cannot compare for convenience , user ease or price .

http://www.wheelerrex.com/products/threading-and-grooving/pipe-threading-machines/

You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I have this Ridgid for sale, it has a removable #700 drive which takes from 1/2- 2" dies, make an offer, it is in excellent condition cuts 2-1/2- 8" schedule 40 pipe.

A lot of fitters use the 700 as a tripod, a pipe screws into the handle, making a stationary threaded.

It is much heavier and heavy duty compared to some of the lightweight hand held.

I have REMS that does 1/2- 1-1/4, it does struggle with 1-1/4, this Ridged powers through the big stuff.

I'd like to see it go to someone that can use and appreciate a great tool.

Plenty of accessories on e-bay for these Ridgids, they have been around for years.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Ironman
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I don't do much threading so I bought the automatic Rothenburger. It's technically of a lighter weight and portable (and cheaper), but still needs 2 people to get it in and out of the truck, or just me, ramps, probably a hernia and a sloped driveway to get it back on.
    That being said, it's struggles on 2" steel pipe doing oil tank installs. And that's plugging it right into an outlet, or very short 12ga. ext cord. Gas pipe-3/4", 1", 1 1/4" it's fine. I couldn't imagine the bigger one that does up to 4" being a workhorse.
    steve
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited October 2017
    Our go to threader is the Rigid 700. We also have a 300, but the 700 is much more portable and has no problem doing 2". We also have a Rigid "hogshead" (I think it's the old style 4j-p) that handles 2.5" - 4" and is driven by the 700.

Neither of these has its own oil pump, but that's not an issue with the oil bucket. If you're stuck on having that feature, then you're looking at a Rigid 535 or equivalent that will do up to 2" or a Rigid 1224 that will do up to 4". Both of these have an optional wheel base, but for portability, the 700 with 12R dies is the way to go.

Here's a link showing the 700 driving a "Hogshead":

https://youtu.be/zipPX4L8xUE
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Consider Megapress?
    I don't thread at all. I carry an assortment of blk fittings and prethreaded nipples. I do everything I can with that and the rest I press.
    It's fast, efficient and less time consuming by far.
    Rich_49
  • NYplumber
    I appreciate all the replies! Megapress has not fully taken over here and the codes don't approve it yet. I settled for a Rothenberger 2SE. The price was unbeatable.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    I always liked the 300, but that was what I was used to...Does your threader have the capabilities of making close nipples...On a side note recently there was a gentleman operating a threader who was killed by it,it grabbed his shirt and strangled him,anouther young guy lost his arm...Show your guys the proper use of it....OSHA can be very good or very bad...
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @j a

your right every threader needs a foot switch or a momentary switch that shuts off when released.

In fact if you buy a used threader on e-bay or Craigs list and it doesn't have or never had a foot switch Ridgid will give you one for free. If it's their threader and you can send them the serial #

I rebuilt an old Ridgid 400 a couple ofyears ago that never had a foot switch. I bought one and installed it as I couldn't find the serial # to send in.

McMaster Carr has the best foot switchs. More rugged than Ridigid and less $$$$$$$ cost is around $100
  • STEVEusaPA
    j a said:

..Does your threader have the capabilities of making close nipples...

Rothenberger has a close nipple kit. I forgot to mentions if you search from now until black friday at zoro.com, there is always one or 2 days where everything is at least 20% off. If you didn't pull the trigger on the Rothenberger, or you want the close nipple kit, you can save some real coin.

I wonder if pro/mega press w/ steel pipe would ever get approved for oil tank installation.
    steve
  • NYplumber
    Good info guys
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @STEVEusaPA , according to the Viega website MEGA PRESS G is approved for fuel oil and natural gas.

Don't know if it's allowable in your location.

In MA where I am I have not seen it used on oil yet (but I don't do much oil).

On Gas, MA will allow it's use " wherever threaded pipe is legal according to the gas code" which basically means low pressure
  • STEVEusaPA
    Thanks for the info @EBEBRATT-Ed . I know it's legal for gas in PA. I guess I should shoot FireDragon an email. If anyone knows it's him.
    steve
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    I like the Ridgid 300, and use it with the manual die handle. The whole trick with the 300 is to be sure to get the wheels, which makes it go from very difficult to transport to a breeze with one man.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com