Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Products to make 24v wiring look better?

Options
Steamback
Steamback Member Posts: 37
edited October 2017 in Thermostats and Controls
I'm really just posting to ask where I can find products (possibly similar to what I made, below) which help manage the 24v control wiring on HVAC installations? Just in general, I mean.

I know the box I made is nothing innovative and slightly specific to my application. On one side it's a Bus Bar which could be a $10 part near the transformer. On the other side it just powers a 24v circuit, but with the benefit of going through 2 (or more) devices. That's probably the only real unique characteristic.

I guess I'm really just asking where I can find products which are designed to make just the 24v control wiring on jobs look nicer and better managed? Do such products exist?

STEVEusaPACaptain

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I like what you did! There are some ones on my oil trucks, but they have no name on them, but have the knockouts and a cover. Attach the diagram to the back of the cover (instead of clear).
    Unless your goal is to show this with the clear cover, my only concern is the bus bars. Id rather just have a junction box, wire nuts and proper tags (which always fall off or get smudged).
    steve
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    Yeah, bestest is not a clear cover! A box or enclosure of some kind prettifies things, maybe some pipe or wireway depending on the number of conductors. Terminal blocks are nice but they add up quickly compared to wire nuts, I've only used them when the cabinets were pre-rebuilt. That spiral wire loom helps too, especially if you have knobs on a hinged door. Sticky backs or zippies with an eyelet are your friend.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,520
    Options
    As an electrician I think you did a great job!

Kele Associates
    Automation Direct
    WW Grainger

Whatever you can do will make it cleaner, neater and easier to troubleshoot.

Basically wire it like it's 120 volt

A lot of people won't take the time with low voltage, it's another class of work class 2 wiring as the code calls it and because it is usually done at the end of the job it just gets thrown together. As far as the code goes anything under 50 volts is considered non hazardous. That doesn't mean anything goes

Nice going, you did a nice job
    adasilva