Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Airing our heating system

eclass
eclass Member Posts: 8
Hi everyone, I'm just looking for a bit of help or suggestions.
yesterday, I had a new baseboard installed. the person who installed it didn't shut off any valves or anything.
I read that anytime you replace a hot water baseboard system the lines would need to be aired out.
I'm trying to figure out which levels I have to shut down. Also, from what I read around I need to install a hose and let the water/air out from the system. I believe the hose needs to be attached right above the circulation pump. (see photos)
Any information would you can provide would be great!

Thank You.

Comments

• eclass
    I forgot to mention that I did run the system for a bit but I stared to hear a humming sound coming from the circulation pump, the pump also become pretty hot too.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    With the boiler off, close the red handle valve above the circulator. Attach a hose to the boiler drain just above. Put the other end of the hose outside or in a drain. Open the boiler drain until a steady stream of clear water comes out of the house, or at least for 5 minutes.

If you loose pressure while purging, then the manual lever on the boiler fill valve needs to be opened. BE CAREFUL not to let the boiler pressure get above 25 psi. At 30 psi, the relief valve will open and dump water.

Once the air is purged, close the manual fill FIRST, then close the boiler drain after the pressure has dropped back to about 12 - 15 psi. Then open the red handle valve and start the boiler.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    eclass
  • eclass
    IronMan Thank you!!!!!!
  • eclass
    I will look that this tonight
  • eclass
    @ironman so I shouldn't have to mess with any of the other valves on the right side at all, just the one above circulator pump.

Thanks a bunch!
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    If the loop does NOT split, then that's correct. If it does (can't tell from your pics), then each part has to be isolated and purged separately.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    eclass
  • eclass
    Ok Thanks, @ironman its a small ranch house maybe 1000 square feet there's prob not a loop. however ill take a look. The photo attached is all see for my system.
  • eclass
    @Ironman I just did exactly as you said, drained out a few gallons of water heard the air come out closed everything up.....and now the system working perfectly now! Can't thank you enough. No more hum sounds!
    Ironman
  • eclass
    @Ironman just did exactly as you said, drained out a few gallons of water heard the air come out closed everything up.....and now the system working perfectly now! Can't thank you enough.
    Ironman