Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lose of prime

Options
pgrant89
pgrant89 Member Posts: 1
I was wondering if some one may be able to help me out with this problem I am having with an oil burner that as been giving me problems.

So it started last year there was a crack in the oil line it was buried in concrete so I had the guy replace the tank. I ran new oil line to it 3/8 coated line the old line I could never get a solid prime out of it this one I get a solid prime but after a couple of weeks it loses the prime it's a bucket cf1400 burner gravity fed the tank is close to 20' away

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If it's losing it's prime you have a vacuum leak and/or possibly (but not likely) a bad pump. A vacuum leak could be anywhere in the fuel system from a bad seal at a flare fitting, bad seal at filter gasket and/or bad seal at the fuel pump cover.
    Have the guy who replaced the tank and the oil line do a proper power bleed. He should also do a vacuum check on the fuel line and the fuel pump and check the pressure and cut-off for the fuel pump. Also check all fittings from the tank to the burner.
    If he doesn't know how, doesn't believe in it, and/or doesn't have the right tools or skill, you should find someone else.
    Hopefully when you replaced the tank you didn't dump the old oil into the new tank.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Gravity fed?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,539
    Options
    You should absolutely never loose prime if it is gravity fed.

Need pictures
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    This is for your home? That's a big BTU burner.
    One pipe oil line off the bottom of the tank?
    Same level or higher than the burner?
    If so, you'd have a visible oil leak.

Is the fuel pump the "B" or "H"?
    The H pump needs an external (field installed) bypass line for low fire.
    With the B pump, it's done internally.
    When the high fire solenoid valve closes, and pressure drops from 300 psi, that extra oil needs to be returned to the inlet.

I don't think you have a loss of prime. I think there's a problem with the pump settings, piping, or adjustments.

Call a service company that has experience with commercial burners.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Any update @pgrant89 ?