Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lose of prime

pgrant89
pgrant89 Member Posts: 1
I was wondering if some one may be able to help me out with this problem I am having with an oil burner that as been giving me problems.

So it started last year there was a crack in the oil line it was buried in concrete so I had the guy replace the tank. I ran new oil line to it 3/8 coated line the old line I could never get a solid prime out of it this one I get a solid prime but after a couple of weeks it loses the prime it's a bucket cf1400 burner gravity fed the tank is close to 20' away

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited September 2017
    If it's losing it's prime you have a vacuum leak and/or possibly (but not likely) a bad pump. A vacuum leak could be anywhere in the fuel system from a bad seal at a flare fitting, bad seal at filter gasket and/or bad seal at the fuel pump cover.
    Have the guy who replaced the tank and the oil line do a proper power bleed. He should also do a vacuum check on the fuel line and the fuel pump and check the pressure and cut-off for the fuel pump. Also check all fittings from the tank to the burner.
    If he doesn't know how, doesn't believe in it, and/or doesn't have the right tools or skill, you should find someone else.
    Hopefully when you replaced the tank you didn't dump the old oil into the new tank.
    steve
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Gravity fed?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    You should absolutely never loose prime if it is gravity fed.

Need pictures
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    This is for your home? That's a big BTU burner.
    One pipe oil line off the bottom of the tank?
    Same level or higher than the burner?
    If so, you'd have a visible oil leak.

Is the fuel pump the "B" or "H"?
    The H pump needs an external (field installed) bypass line for low fire.
    With the B pump, it's done internally.
    When the high fire solenoid valve closes, and pressure drops from 300 psi, that extra oil needs to be returned to the inlet.

I don't think you have a loss of prime. I think there's a problem with the pump settings, piping, or adjustments.

Call a service company that has experience with commercial burners.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Any update @pgrant89 ?