Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another steamer replacement

EzzyT
EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
edited September 2017 in Strictly Steam
We replaced the oversized incorrectly piped 20+ year old steam boiler and rerouted one of the 11/4" dry returns.
Installed a Crown BSI 172, 3" drop header and 2 stage firing set up.
Upgraded the main venting with 4- Barnes & Jones big mouth vents.
E-Travis Mechanical LLC
Etravismechanical@gmail.com
201-887-8856
SailahDanny ScullyChrisJBug512

Comments

• Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    Great job @EzzyT, as per usual!
    New England SteamWorks
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    nice & neat in a tight spot
  • EzzyT
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Beautiful!
    Love how the gas line is tucked away in the corner.
    Is there room on the 1/2" for a valve and union?
    I'm not a pipe fitter, but that sure is a purty job. I hope you had aluminum wrenches for the 3".
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,416
    The valve and union are upstream on the 3/4" @HVACNUT
  • EzzyT
    The gas line is 1" and there's a 1"x 1/2" tee for the boiler.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
  • HVACNUT
    > @Danny Scully said:
    > The valve and union are upstream on the 3/4" @HVACNUT
    >
    >
    > OK. I thought code was to have a union on the horizontal, so piping doesn't need to be removed to replace the gas valve or pull the train.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    > @HVACNUT said:
    > > @Danny Scully said:
    > > The valve and union are upstream on the 3/4" @HVACNUT
    > >
    > >
    > > OK. I thought code was to have a union on the horizontal, so piping doesn't need to be removed to replace the gas valve or pull the train.
    >
    >
    >
    I find code discussions here, not very useful as every area has its own set of codes, and laws....I do find that NFPA 54 pretty much sets the standard, then A H J chimes in with there own little pet peeves...some good some not so good....Code comments cause a lot of wasted time. Jmo
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Whoops failed to mention, what a nice job...so much work goes into jobs like that. The logistics alone are difficult.let alone the selling,sizing, paperwork, permits,standing inspection, hoping on start up some factory worker did not have a bad day on assembly, humping the old one out and getting rid of it, fearing the call for no heat from a pissed of customer only to find out he failed to replace his t stat batteries, oh and the schooling and time as a apprentice just learning how it all works together...That's not a rant but just a reminder how difficult it is to get to a point that you can preform a complete job like that...
    MilanD
  • MilanD
    MilanD Member Posts: 1,160
    > @j a said:
    > Whoops failed to mention, what a nice job...so much work goes into jobs like that. The logistics alone are difficult.let alone the selling,sizing, paperwork, permits,standing inspection, hoping on start up some factory worker did not have a bad day on assembly, humping the old one out and getting rid of it, fearing the call for no heat from a pissed of customer only to find out he failed to replace his t stat batteries, oh and the schooling and time as a apprentice just learning how it all works together...That's not a rant but just a reminder how difficult it is to get to a point that you can preform a complete job like that...

Nice job @EzzyT !

@j a

Forgot to mention that on top of all that, he comes here and spends time helping others!

Reminds me of a joke our violin professor used to tell us when a patron asked if they (pro musicians) got together on the weekend to play chamber music just for fun. They are so good, and it's so enjoyable, they just must be! He answered "did you ever hear of butchers getting together on the weekend and butcher for fun?"

At any rate - you all go above and beyond despite it all!
  • HVACNUT
    edited September 2017
    @ja
    Not being an installer, I look through the eye (yes eye. I'm a cyclops) of a service tech. Having to replace that gas valve would be fun. If I had to replace it, I would bring 1/2" nips and a union with me. Not a biggie I guess.
    It is a beautiful installation nonetheless.
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    MilanD said:

> @j a said:

> Whoops failed to mention, what a nice job...so much work goes into jobs like that. The logistics alone are difficult.let alone the selling,sizing, paperwork, permits,standing inspection, hoping on start up some factory worker did not have a bad day on assembly, humping the old one out and getting rid of it, fearing the call for no heat from a pissed of customer only to find out he failed to replace his t stat batteries, oh and the schooling and time as a apprentice just learning how it all works together...That's not a rant but just a reminder how difficult it is to get to a point that you can preform a complete job like that...

Nice job @EzzyT !

@j a

Forgot to mention that on top of all that, he comes here and spends time helping others!

Reminds me of a joke our violin professor used to tell us when a patron asked if they (pro musicians) got together on the weekend to play chamber music just for fun. They are so good, and it's so enjoyable, they just must be! He answered "did you ever hear of butchers getting together on the weekend and butcher for fun?"

At any rate - you all go above and beyond despite it all!

Haha re pro musicians!!

My recent YouTube viewings have been flashmob operas. I love opera, I would truly die a happy man if I found myself in the middle of a spontaneous (to me!!) opera at the grocery store. I'm thankful people who are talented and willing to share their talents in spontaneous acts of culture.

Sorry for the off topic
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
    MilanD
  • MilanD
    @Sailah

Really off-topic:

You need to check out various college summer programs in Italy. There are a few with many open door performances by some very talented kids, all free of charge, or quite inexpensive.

Lucca comes to mind. (http://www.vocalacademyofitaly.org/) Birth city of Puccini, and just an amazingly beautiful city nestled in the heart of Tuscany. If you have 15 min, check out the video that's on the site.

It would make for a great excuse to travel AND get some great singing in. Also, Verona is close by, and their summer opera in the old roman amphitheater is to die for.

Ok. Done. Back to hydronics...

Sailah
  • HVACNUT
    My favorite opera is Bugs and Elmer in 'Kill the Wabbit'.
    MilanD
  • MilanD
    edited September 2017
    HVACNUT said:

My favorite opera is Bugs and Elmer in 'Kill the Wabbit'.

Wagner, Ride of the Valkyries. Doesn't get much better than that. BTW, good music to have on when tackling new challenging piping issue! :smiley:

https://youtu.be/xeRwBiu4wfQ.

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    j a said:

> @HVACNUT said:

> > @Danny Scully said:

> > The valve and union are upstream on the 3/4" @HVACNUT

> >

> >

> > OK. I thought code was to have a union on the horizontal, so piping doesn't need to be removed to replace the gas valve or pull the train.

>

>

>

I find code discussions here, not very useful as every area has its own set of codes, and laws....I do find that NFPA 54 pretty much sets the standard, then A H J chimes in with there own little pet peeves...some good some not so good....Code comments cause a lot of wasted time. Jmo

Been plumbing since the 80's never heard of unions needed to make the gas valve removal 'easy', they're just needed to make it possible.

ET, looks superb, what do the ball valves do?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    j a_2
  • EzzyT
    Thanks @GW . The king and return valves are use during annual maintenance. Shut them all off fire boiler until measure reaches about 5-7 psi and then open the boiler drain and the pressure will flush out all the mud out of the bottom of the boiler.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856
    MilanD
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    sweet!
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Bug512
    Bug512 Member Posts: 52
    Can I ask how the two stage gas valve works, I think I could benefit with my BSI 138 at home. Thanks !
    Gene in Northern NJ
    NJ HVACR License 19HC00537600
  • EzzyT
    The vaporstat is what triggers the low fire on the gas valve. Once the system reaches a certain pressure then it goes into low fire and stays in low fire until the thermostat is satisfied
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    201-887-8856